Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath not for Christians

Frank wrote at 2014-12-26 05:46:18
12 24 2014 - Sabbath not for Christians

<<< The expert’s response: >>>

I understand what you are saying and why you are saying it. I agree with much of what you said, but not all. You state, "Jesus never taught that the Apostles should keep the Sabbath." I would add to that sentence, "in the New Covenant" or "after the Resurrection." Since Jesus kept the Sabbath before the Cross he no doubt whether by words or example taught Sabbath-keeping for Jews while under the Old Covenant Law.

"But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons" (Galatians 4:4-5 NASB).

<<< This is as good a time as any to make it clear that during the entire history of the world since the fall of man, no one has been (or ever will be) saved by keeping the law. It is not possible for a fallen human being (one who has transgressed the law) to save himself by keeping the law. Once it has been transgressed, death is the certain end of the transgressor. Or it would have been had not Jesus proposed a plan so bold that His Father was reluctant to allow Him to attempt it. Jesus proposed that he would become one of us and suffer the penalty for man’s sins in His own body on a cross thus appeasing His father’s wrath.

Salvation has always been by grace through faith in Christ. “But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:22-23 KJV) >>>

This is just a small disagreement, but a bigger problem I have with your argument is your statement that we do not know the actual day that God rested from creating. We do know that God rested on the 7th day.

"Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made" (Genesis 2:1-3 NASB).

True, the Bible doesn't say Day One was Sunday, Day Two was Monday, etc. The Jews had no problem understanding the day God rested on in Creation Week to be Saturday in our calendar setting. When God revealed the Sabbath to Israel He gave them a definite day, not just any day, for them to observe. What day? The 7th day of Creation Week or Saturday. In the Jewish way of reckoning that is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday (cf. Leviticus 23:32). It was not one in seven, but the 7th day. It's just not a good argument to deny that the 7th day of Creation was Saturday. When God gave the Sabbath Commandment to Israel it was linked to the 7th day of Creation Week. "For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:11 NKJV).

<<< This verse is proof that the Sabbath commandment was from creation (as was the entire moral law). After sin, the moral law was worded to meet man in his fallen condition and that is why we have it in the form of Ten Commandments. >>>

All can agree that Israel observed the Sabbath on the 7th day of the week. If God rested on Tuesday or some unknown day I don't think Moses would have told the people that you are to rest on the 7th day because God rested on the 3rd or you are to rest on the 7th because God rested on some day. It just doesn't make any sense. However, if it was understood that God rested on the 7th day of the week then it would make perfect sense for the Israelites to also rest on that day.

<<< Another proof that the Sabbath is the seventh day is that in over 100 languages the name for the seventh day or the week is “Sabbath”. >>>

True, it doesn't matter what day Christians choose to worship on. Paul note this fact quite clearly.

"One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.  He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it..." (Romans 14:5-6 NKJV).  

<<< Man never observed the Sabbath because he esteemed it above the other six days.  He observed it because God blessed and sanctified it at creation. When God introduced the Sabbath to the children of Israel during the Exodus, He told Moses the people were to gather a double portion on the 6th day of the week as none would fall on the Sabbath (Exodus 16:5). He did this as a test for the people to see “whether they will walk in my law, or no” (verse 6). What law would that be if the law wasn’t given until Sinai?

A closer look at verse 6 also casts doubt on the expert’s evaluation. “He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.”  (Romans 14:6 KJV) Here Paul associates eating with the day that is being esteemed (regarded) above the others. That could not be the Sabbath as eating or not eating is not a requirement associated with Sabbath observance. It is most likely the days that the Jews traditionally observed for fasting. Those were not days that were established by law but by tradition. Man’s estimation of a day has no power over the Sabbath that was established by God at creation. >>>      

There are many reasons why Christians don't have to observe any particular day and you mentioned some of them. In my opinion you would be better off leaving your argument at that and not bringing in the idea that we don't know the actual day that God rested on. The Bible clearly says that God rested on the 7th day of Creation Week. We know, and the Jews knew, this day to have been Saturday.

Under the Old Covenant Jews were to rest from their work on the Sabbath which prefigured salvation by grace not works. In the New Covenant we have learned this truth.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9 NASB).

<<< The Sabbath, having been made before sin, had nothing to do with sin. After sin, it took on added meaning as a memorial of redemption and as a sign that those who keep it are being sanctified by God (Exodus 31:13). >>>  

Therefore, Christians rest everyday in Christ the true fulfillment of the Sabbath. In whom we find not rest for our bodies, but rest for our souls.

<<< Paul wrote “I die daily” (1 Cor 15:31). We rest from the bondage of sin as we die daily to the carnal nature and live for Christ. This does not end the obligation to keep the commandments. >>>

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV).

God ceased from working in Genesis 2 and rested in His finished work of Creation. We must cease from working to save ourselves and rest in the finished work of Christ. We must do this not on one day, but everyday.

<<< There is one huge problem with this argument. Christ’s work in the heavenly sanctuary on behalf of fallen man began after His crucifixion and ascension. It did not end at the cross. Christ’s work for the salvation of man ends when He stands and proclaims, “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.” (Revelation 22:11 KJV) >>>

"There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.  For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His" (Hebrews 4:9-10 NKJV).

<<< Just as Christ rested the 7th day of the week after completing His work of creation, He rested the 7th day of the week in the tomb after completing His work of

redemption. Those who enter into God’s rest cease from sin and sin is transgression of the law. >>>

You correctly note the importance of the fact that the 7th day Sabbath is not restated in the New Testament as necessary for Christians. By the same token Sunday is also not commanded to be observed. While it is obvious that Sunday as the day of the Resurrection is worthy of commemoration as the greatest day in salvation history it, nonetheless, is not commanded of Christians. What is commanded is that Christians assemble together to praise God and fellowship with one another.

"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:23-25 NASB).

Therefore, if one does that on Saturday (the Sabbath) of Sunday (the Lord's Day), or some other day it doesn't really matter. So long as we are giving thanks to God and fellowshipping to strengthen one another God is being exalted in our lives. Isn't that what is really important?

<<< Christ went to the cross to deliver fallen man from the bondage of sin and restore in him a righteous and holy character. The character that was lost to him when Adam and Eve sinned. If the righteous requirements of the law could have been set aside to allow for sin, Christ would not have had to go to the cross to redeem fallen man.

Observing the Sabbath of the 4th commandment does not disallow anyone from giving thanks to God and fellow-shipping together on any day. The Sabbath commandment, however, is as immutable as the other nine. “The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.” (Psalms 111:7-8 KJV) >>>

Have a Merry Christmas,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics