Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath as a Shadow

Frank wrote at 2014-12-07 02:08:09
12 4 2014 - Sabbath as a Shadow

<<<The expert’s answer: >>>

Dear Sister Lisa:

The first part of your statement that the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall I have dealt with in some detail previously; therefore, I will not respond to that again at this time. If you are interested please see my previous answer @ the following link:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/sabbath-start.htm

The second part of your statement that because the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall it could not be a type or shadow of something that began later I will respond to that in this answer. First let's look at the verses in question.

"And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.  Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made" (Genesis 2:2-3 NKJV).

As all can see there is no mention of "Sabbath" or of any supposed institution of the alleged Sabbath.

<<< The word rested occurs twice in these verses. It is the Hebrew word ‘shabath’ which means to desist from exertion or rest. Verse 2 says on the seventh day God ended His work and then He rested on the seventh day from all His work. >>>

However, if the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall would that fact exclude it from being a type or shadow? I believe that the answer is no. The argument that since God rested before the Fall the Sabbath could not be a type shadow is a feeble argument.

<<< The ceremonial law was God’s response to the sin problem. Had Adam and Eve not sinned, God would still have created the world in six days and rested the seventh day. He would have blessed and sanctified the seventh day because in it He had rested from His work of creation. “And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.” (Genesis 2:2-3 KJV) >>>

Your belief would have validity only if God was ignorant of future events which He most certainly is not. God knows all things.

“Remember the former things long past,

For I am God, and there is no other;

I am God, and there is no one like Me,

Declaring the end from the beginning,

And from ancient times things which have not been done,

Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,

And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’" (Isaiah 46:9-10 NASB).

God's knowledge is perfect. “Do you know about the layers of the thick clouds, the wonders of one perfect in knowledge" (Job 37:16 NASB).

The entire plan of redemption was conceived before the Fall made it necessary.

<<< The expert seems to be saying the plan of salvation was conceived before the fall because God has perfect foreknowledge and He foresaw that Adam and Eve would fail their test of obedience, resulting in sin. Had man not fallen, however, God would have foreseen that as well and there would have been no need for a plan of salvation. God would still have created everything according to Genesis chapter 2:2, 3 since the fall of man occurred after the creation of the world in six days and the blessing and sanctification of the seventh day. In other words, God could not have foreseen the fall before He foresaw everything that would happen up until the fall. As I have said in prior responses, God’s foreknowledge does not over rule the natural order of events. >>>

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God" (1 Peter 1:18-21 NIV).

The salvation of all people was the plan from all eternity.

<<< The verse just quoted says “before the creation of the world”. It does not say from all eternity. Was the plan devised “just in case” the new creation sinned or was it devised when God saw that His planned creation was going to sin? If God always knew all things then He always knew He would create the world and the human race. He always knew that Adam and Eve would sin and He always knew Christ would put on humanity and pay the wages of sin to redeem fallen race. >>>

"To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things; so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places. This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Ephesians 3:8-11 NASB).

<<< The eternal purpose of God concerning our world was the establishment of humanity. Sin complicated the process but did not defeat it. >>>

Even before the Fall occurred some names were written in the Book of Life and some were not. "The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come" (Revelation 17:8 ESV).

These verses show that God did not wait until the Fall of man occurred in order to prepare our redemption. Your belief is good human reasoning, but remember that God does not think like man and man does not think like God.

<<< For God to have known of the fall He had to also already know everything that would occur prior to the fall. He had to have known He was going to make the Sabbath day before He could have known His new creation was going to fall. Therefore, His plan of redemption could only have been conceived after He knew all of the events that would occur prior to the fall. >>>

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,

Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

So are My ways higher than your ways

And My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9 NASB; cf. Job 38:1-6).

We humans are limited in being able to know the future, God has no such limitations. He knows what will happen in our future. He knows what choices we will make even though we have free will. I believe that the scriptures I have quoted give clear evidence that God did plan for our redemption before the Fall.

<<< The fact that God planned man’s redemption from sin before the actual creation and occurrence of the fall is not evidence that the Sabbath commandment could be a type or shadow of Christ and His ministry as High Priest. All the events preceding the fall had to have been foreseen as well or God could not have foreseen the outcome of His test of obedience. No ceremonial ordinances could have been implemented before God foresaw that man would fall. >>>   

Therefore, the Sabbath if it were a Creation Ordinance could still be used by God as a type or shadow of our salvation. However, all this is a moot point since I have previously shown there is no evidence that the Sabbath was a Creation Ordinance or a moral law. The 7th day Sabbath was actually instituted after the sons of Israel were freed from Egyptian bondage (cf. Exodus 16:23) to be a ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant between God and Israel.

<<< As we have already shown in past responses, the Sabbath commandment itself tells us when it was made.  “For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.” (Exodus 20:11) What day does this verse say the Lord blessed and sanctified? That’s correct. It says the Sabbath day. The day the expert says didn’t exist (or wasn’t instituted) until Sinai. >>>

"So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:16-17 NASB).

<<< The children of Israel did not keep the covenant, so its blessings were taken from them and given to the believing Gentiles (Matthew 21:43) and any Jews who chose to believe. Only those who through faith in Christ keep the covenant will partake of the heavenly Canaan. Anyone with cherished, unconfessed sin will be consumed at the second coming by God’s glory. God and sin cannot coexist.

Israel’s probationary period ended with the stoning of Stephen whereas the probationary period of the Christian Church ends when “Michael stands up” (Daniel 12:1). That marks the end of the anti-typical Day of Atonement that began October 22, 1844 and is followed by the pouring out of the seven last plagues upon the finally unrepentant (Revelation 16:1) and the resurrection of the just (Revelation 20:6). >>>

In conclusion, the 7th day Sabbath can be a type or shadow of salvation by grace through faith. It does not matter if the Sabbath was first mentioned before the Fall or not. God planned our salvation before He created the first man. Jesus was chosen to be our Savior before we needed one. God did not have to wait to see how events would unfold in order to devise a plan for our salvation. He knows all things before they happen. Therefore, it doesn't matter when in history something occurs God could still have planned to use it to teach or point to salvation or Jesus or whatever He wishes.

<<< The ritual or ceremonial law was not written in stone by God. None of the ten eternal precepts are ceremonial commandments. Moses wrote of his experience at Sinai at the giving of the Ten Commandments, “These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.” (Deuteronomy 5:22) The moral law was complete as spoken by God. None of the temporary ceremonial ordinances concerning the Hebrew sanctuary and the plan of salvation were written in stone because, well . . . they were temporary. They were spoken privately to Moses and written in a book (Exodus 25:2, 8). >>>

God Bless You,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal