Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath as a Shadow

Question
Dear Sal:

In your answer to Tina you stated, and I quote, "It (the Sabbath) was a type or shadow of the rest to be found in God's Son" and "The 7th day Sabbath was only a type or shadow of salvation by grace through faith." This is false because the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall of man (see Gen. 2:2-3) and so it could not be a type or shadow for something which would happen or be necessary after the Fall.

Thanks,
Lisa

Answer
Dear Sister Lisa:

The first part of your statement that the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall I have dealt with in some detail previously; therefore, I  will not respond to that again at this time. If you are interested please see my previous answer @ the following link:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/sabbath-start.htm

The second part of your statement that because the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall it could not be a type or shadow of something that began later I will respond to that in this answer. First let's look at the verses in question.

"And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.  Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made" (Genesis 2:2-3 NKJV).

As all can see there is no mention of "Sabbath" or of any supposed institution of the alleged Sabbath. However, if the Sabbath was instituted before the Fall would that fact exclude it from being a type or shadow? I believe that the answer is no. The argument that since God rested before the Fall the Sabbath could not be a type shadow is a feeble argument. Your belief would have validity only if God was ignorant of future events which He most certainly is not. God knows all things.

“Remember the former things long past,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,

Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’" (Isaiah 46:9-10 NASB).

God's knowledge is perfect. “Do you know about the layers of the thick clouds, the wonders of one perfect in knowledge" (Job 37:16 NASB).

The entire plan of redemption was conceived before the Fall made it necessary.

"For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God" (1 Peter 1:18-21 NIV).

The salvation of all people was the plan from all eternity.

"To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ, and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things; so that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places. This was in accordance with the eternal purpose which He carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Ephesians 3:8-11 NASB).

Even before the Fall occurred some names were written in the Book of Life and some were not. "The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to rise from the bottomless pit and go to destruction. And the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world will marvel to see the beast, because it was and is not and is to come" (Revelation 17:8 ESV).

These verses show that God did not wait until the Fall of man occurred in order to prepare our redemption. Your belief is good human reasoning, but remember that God does not think like man and man does not think like God.

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9 NASB; cf. Job 38:1-6).

We humans are limited in being able to know the future, God has no such limitations. He knows what will happen in our future. He knows what choices we will make even though we have free will. I believe that the scriptures I have quoted give clear evidence that God did plan for our redemption before the Fall. Therefore, the Sabbath if it were a Creation Ordinance could still be used by God as a type or shadow of our salvation. However, all this is a moot point since I have previously shown there is no evidence that the Sabbath was a Creation Ordinance or a moral law. The 7th day Sabbath was actually instituted after the sons of Israel were freed from Egyptian bondage (cf. Exodus 16:23) to be a ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant between God and Israel.  

"So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:16-17 NASB).   

In conclusion, the 7th day Sabbath can be a type or shadow of salvation by grace through faith. It does not matter if the Sabbath was first mentioned before the Fall or not. God planned our salvation before He created the first man. Jesus was chosen to be our Savior before we needed one. God did not have to wait to see how events would unfold in order to devise a plan for our salvation. He knows all things before they happen. Therefore, it doesn't matter when in history something occurs God could still have planned to use it to teach or point to salvation or Jesus or whatever He wishes.  

God Bless You,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal