Seventh-Day Adventists/transition from sda

Question
How did you make your transition from sda?  My family is sda so i think it would be difficult to leave. What type of church do you attend now?  Do you really feel it is a cult? That has been refuted.

Answer
Hello Shani,

Thank you so much for your question.

I have to admit that my transition out of the SDA church was not very difficult and probably because I and my daughter were the only SDAs in my family. My adult daughter had already settled in her mind after much research that Ellen White was a false prophet and out of a self-imposed need to protect me (since I worked for the denomination), she kept it to herself and did her own thing. It wasn't until I approached her about my findings that she revealed this to me although she still had questions regarding the validity of the Sabbath.

After I understood that the Sabbath was given to the Jews as a sign of their covenant with God and that it is not applicable to believers in the New Testament AFTER the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, I was able to walk away with a clear conscious.

Initially it was a little strange and scary visiting other churches on Sunday since all of my life I was taught that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast. No where in the Bible does it say that. I was also taught that Sabbath was the seal of God but the Bible refutes that claim also by saying that the Holy Spirit is the seal.

Ephesians 1:13-14 (NIV)
13  And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal , the promised Holy Spirit ,
14  who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory.

You will note that the seal was given after belief (having believed) and not as the result of worshiping on certain day.

A huge help for me at the time of my transition was when I discovered an online site for Former Adventists (www.formeradventist.com). Since I had no one who understood where I was coming from at the time, it was quite lonely. Discovering former SDAs and being able to share and listen was very therapeutic and encouraging. I was able to vent, ask questions and people continue to join and share problems they are having with SDA family members and seeking advice and solutions, etc. It was and is truly a blessing.

A lot of former SDAs whose families are still in the church have a rough time. For the most part, their families think they are deceived and try everything they can to convince them otherwise. Some relationships are very strained and some formers have just had to walk away or refuse to discuss their beliefs with their families. The sad thing is that a lot of their SDA family members and friends have deaf ears to what the Bible says if it disagrees with Ellen White's writings.  Many formers have lost very close friends who think they are deceived. Once I found the Truth, (or rather the Truth found me) there was no way I could stay. However, I was blessed to discover that my true SDA friends remained my friends even though a lot of what we believe is not reconcilable.

I consider myself a non-denominational Christ Follower, however, I fellowship on Sunday and other occasions at Central Baptist Church in Sanford, FL. I have a pastor young enough to be my son but he preaches the Word only and I love it. These "mark of the beast" churches are some of the most loving experiences and people I have encountered.

And "Yes" I believe the SDA church is a cult. Following is the link to why I believe the SDA church is a cult.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2012/1/sda-church-cult.ht

The SDA church has gone through great lengths to deceive people in order to be recognized as a mainstream Christian church and to keep and increase their numbers.

Decades ago, some SDA church officials were interviewed by Walter Martin, the author of Kingdom of the Cults . His purpose was to decide if the SDA church is a cult. In his book, he stated that the SDA church is NOT a cult but the important question is, "How did he arrive at his conclusion?" Well, some influential brethren of the SDA church in the 1950s had been dialoguing with Martin so they decided to publish a book, Questions on Doctrine to explain what the SDA church believed. As a result, they avoided the cult label but it was at the expense of lying and not honoring their true beliefs. This caused a serious division and confusion in the church.

Following is a quote taken from: http://www.lifeassuranceministries.org/proclamation/2010/3/waltermartin.html

Will the Adventist leadership repent?

"Regarding the direction the Adventist Church was taking in the 1970s and 1980s, Walter Martin said:

I fear that if they continue to progress at this rate, that the classification of a cult can't possibly miss being re-applied to Seventh Day [sic] Adventism." 51

Following the death of cult leader Herbert W. Armstrong in 1986, his Worldwide Church of God labeled Armstrong's writings heretical, repented of its errors, and joined the greater Christian community.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church had a similar opportunity in the 1950s. When meeting with Martin they had the chance to come clean about their anti-trinitarianism, multi-phase atonement, identification of "Sunday worship" with the mark of the beast, Sabbath requirement, prophetess Ellen White, and many other unbiblical beliefs. They instead chose to rework the wording of their positions to appear acceptable to evangelical Christians.

Seventh-day Adventism has been able to infiltrate the evangelical community because key leaders deceived Walter Martin into believing they were evangelical Christians (albeit with a number of heterodox teachings and practices). Under this facade, however, the church has never renounced or stopped teaching its founding doctrines, and now, with the election of Ted Wilson as General Conference president, there is renewed emphasis on proclaiming and embracing true Adventism.

Regardless of the church's corporate stance, however, individual Seventh-day Adventists always have the opportunity to admit the truth. Jesus is calling, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your soul" (Mt. 11:2829).

The voice from heaven in Revelation 18 calls all those caught in false religion:

Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, "Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues; for her sins are heaped high as heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities" (Rev. 18:45, ESV)." (end of quote)

The SDA church is steeped in deception and even though they speak the language of mainstream evangelicals, their meaning is quite different. For instance, SDAs and evangelicals say, "We are saved by grace through faith" BUT, SDAs mean we are saved by grace through faith PLUS Sabbath keeping, etc. and evangelicals mean we are saved by grace through faith PLUS NOTHING ELSE! Adventists believe that the Sabbath is the seal of God and without His seal they cannot be saved. This is why they say people are lost when they leave the SDA church and worship on another day.

I will say this before closing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with worshiping on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. because some people consider every day the same while others consider one day sacred.

Romans 14:5 (NIV)
5  One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

The problem is believing that worshiping on a certain day will help get you to heaven. Jesus is our Sabbath rest; A Person, not a day!

Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV)
28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest .
29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls
30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I do hope this answer has been helpful and my sincere prayers are with you on your journey.  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen