Seventh-Day Adventists/The Truth Behind The So Called Truth

Frank wrote at 2014-03-25 13:38:38
3 21 2014 - The Truth Behind the So Called Truth

The expert’s answer:

I do often use "obsolete" when referring to the 7th day Sabbath because it is Scriptural and it fits so well when speaking of the Old Covenant.

"By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV).

The Bible clearly states what this obsolete covenant was.

"Then the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice. And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone" (Deuteronomy 4:12-13 ESV).

<<< The expert is ignoring the fact that the first covenant “. . . had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.” (Hebrews 9:1 KJV) It is this ceremonial remedy for sin that became obsolete when its ritual observances, also known as old covenant shadows, were fulfilled by Christ. This was signified by the veil in the temple being torn in two at His death (see Mark 15:38). There is no text saying the moral law or the Ten Commandments ended at the cross. The change in the covenant is with who it is made with and how it is administered. “Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:” (Hebrews 8:9-10 KJV) The ritual remedy for sin was rendered obsolete when Jesus began His heavenly ministry after accomplishing His atoning sacrifice on the cross (see Heb 9:11). Because the children of Israel did not keep God’s law, the promise of salvation by faith in Christ was taken from them and given to a ‘nation’ that would bring forth its fruits. This is known as ‘spiritual Israel’ (see Hebrews 8:8, 1 Peter 2:5). “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.” (1 Peter 2:9-10 KJV) >>>

The Sabbath is one of these commandments and the obsolete sign of this obsolete covenant.

<<< There is no denying the fact that the author of Hebrews said the first covenant became obsolete (NKJV) when the New Covenant promise was ratified by the atoning sacrifice made by Christ on the cross. However the sign for the Jews under the Old Covenant (see John 7:22) was circumcision. This sign ended when Christ died on the cross. “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.” (1 Corinthians 7:19 KJV) >>>

"The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16-17 NIV).

<<< The first covenant became obsolete when Christ was crucified, ratifying the new covenant with His shed blood. The expert wants us to believe that this means the 10 C’s became obsolete. However, Paul tells us that the law is established, not done away with (see Rom 3:31). Also, this verse confirms that the Sabbath was made before sin and therefore cannot be a commandment that ended at the cross as that law was added after sin. >>>

Jesus did not waste his time because he was a Jew living under the Old Covenant; therefore, he was required under pain of sin to observe all its demands.

<<< Having never sinned, Jesus was under no obligation to observe the Old Covenant law. The law He was required to keep and the law he kept to perfection was the Law that defines love for God and love for neighbor, the Ten Commandments. >>>

This adherence to the Old Covenant Law brought redemption.

<<< Christ’s shed blood brought redemption for the Jews that died under the old covenant. “And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.” (Hebrews 9:15-16 KJV) There has never been salvation in keeping the law, whether under the old covenant or the new. >>>

"But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons" (Galatians 4:4-5 NKJV).

Jesus' proclamation that he was Lord of the Sabbath was to declare that it was he who had authority over what was to be allowed and what was not allowed on the Sabbath. Previously it was the Pharisees who held this authority.

<<< The Pharisees never had the authority to change God’s law. It was the Pharisees that made Sabbath keeping a burden through their many added restrictions (see Mat 15:9, Col 2:22, Titus 1:14) rather than the delight it was originally intended to be by the Lord (see Isaiah 58:13). “And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. (Mark 2:27-28 KJV) And the Sabbath was made when the 7th day ended (Gen 2:2, 3). >>>

In the passage you referenced (Luke 6:1-11) note that it was the Pharisees who complained about the disciples eating grain (v.2). It was the Pharisees who prohibited healing on the Sabbath (v. 7). It was the Pharisees who fancied themselves "lords of the Sabbath" until Jesus turned their world upside down.

<<< The chief priests and teachers of the law were responsible for all the added laws. No doubt many of them were Pharisees. They were the "interpreters" of the law. >>>

The fact that the Sabbath would become obsolete after the cross is not relevant. Don't forget, brother, that Jesus kept all Old Covenant laws including the ceremonial.

<<< The Sabbath, having been made before sin, (see Gen 2:2, 3) was to have been kept from the time it was created until forever and is as enduring as the other nine commandments. “Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.” (Luke 21:33 KJV) >>>  

Was that absurd of the Lord? He certainly knew that the ceremonial laws were to become obsolete. Don't you agree that the ceremonial laws were taken away by Jesus? Yet he absurdly kept and taught keeping them.

<<< Is the expert really saying Jesus ‘absurdly kept’ and taught keeping the law that for more than a thousand years spoke of His promised atoning sacrifice? A law that He gave to His people at Sinai when He established them as His Holy nation? Jesus preached the good news of the coming kingdom to the Jews first to fulfill an ultimatum given through the prophet Daniel.  “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.” (Daniel 9:24 KJV) In fulfillment Jesus told His disciples, “. . . I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” (Matthew 15:24 KJV) >>>

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:17-20 NKJV).

<<< It is only after sin and sinners are destroyed that sin and its effects will have been eradicated from the universe. Except, of course, for the scars in the savior’s hands and feet and side. The principles of the Ten Commandments will have been restored in the heart and mind of the redeemed and sin will be no more (see Nahum 1:9). >>>

Briefly concerning Matthew 24:20 and Jesus mention of the Sabbath, it would be a problem for Christians to travel with their possessions on the Sabbath because the Pharisees would stop them not because they would be resting on the Sabbath. For a more detailed answer see my answer at:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2013/9/matthew-20-24.htm

<<< Whatever the reason, if Jesus said the Sabbath would be an issue the Sabbath was still a righteous requirement of the law. Jesus never said anything to suggest the Sabbath was no longer to be observed. >>>

The meetings in the synagogues attended by Christians were not Christian meetings. They were Jewish meetings attended by Christians for the express purpose of converting those there to Christianity. The Christians were not there to observe the Sabbath.

<<< Jesus never told His disciples that they should not worship in the synagogues. Shortly before His crucifixion He told His disciples, “These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.” (John 16:1-2 KJV) Where is the command to keep Sunday? Where is the command not to worship in the Synagogues? It was never Jesus’ intent to cut off His people. It was love of their traditional law and rejection of Him, the one written about in the law, that brought that about. "Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."

(John 1:45 KJV) Not everyone in Israel was blind to the savior but those who loved their positions and authority more that the truth. >>>

Thank you for the questions.

Have a Blessed Day,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal