Seventh-Day Adventists/Flood story origin

I have done some research on the Genesis account of the Noachian Flood. It appears likely that the Hebrews may have plagiarized chief elements of their Flood story from the Mesopotamian Epic of Gilgamesh while in bondage to the Babylonians. Many archeologists and historians have verified that the Epic predates the Genesis account and also point to strong and convincing evidence for "patch-work" and amendments to the book of Genesis over time. The Hebrew flood story parallels the Gilgamesh Epic in many ways, with only slight alterations. It appears that large portions of the Hebrew Creation account were also plagiarized from the Persians who freed the Hebrews from Babylonian captivity. There is a documentary coming out on it all response to the New motion picture "NOAH" staring Russell Crow. What do you know of the Gilgamesh inspiration on Hebrew accounts? Thank you.

Dear Brother Sean:

I believe that you have things backwards. The actual account of the Flood is preserved by the Holy Spirit in Genesis. The fact that similar Flood stories occur in many different societies is because an actual Flood did indeed occur. Remember that all of the human race was once one family. So the story of Noah and the Flood was passed on from one generation to the next. Unfortunately, at the Tower of Babel mankind was purposely divided by God because of their wickedness (see Genesis 11:1-9). Then the original story began to be corrupted with additions and subtractions. Thanks be to God that He inspired Moses to record that facts of the Flood as well as many other important stories. If not for that we would not know what the truth really is.

Thanks for the interesting question.

Have a great weekend,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics