Seventh-Day Adventists/Forgiveness

Question
Hello Sal, been awhile since I asked you a question - trust you are well.Matt.6:14,15 states: "For if you forgive men their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions." (NASB) Many years ago, I was deeply wronged with false accusations and lies spoken against myself by an authoritarian abusive church. Having expressed my grievance and seeking reconcilliation, these people remain unmoved with no sign of sorrow, remorse or repentance. It troubles me that Scripture states that I will not be forgiven if I don't forgive.I struggle with forgiving them whilst they remain unrepentant. Does this mean I could be excluded from heaven?

Answer
Dear Brother Ron:

I'm sorry that you were treated so badly by a church. This is not my area of expertise, but I would say that you must have some forgiveness in your heart because you sought reconciliation. It is not your problem if these people remain unrepentant. You have done your part. So, no I don't think this this will exclude you from heaven.

Have a great weekend.

Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal