Seventh-Day Adventists/Matthew 5:18

Hi Sal,

Could you please tell me your understanding of Matthew 5:18?  Is Jesus referring to a literal Heaven and Earth?

Thanks a lot,

Dear Brother David:

All Bible quotations in this answer will be taken from the New American Standard Bible.

17“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished" (Matthew 5:17-18).

In v. 17 Jesus was informing the Jews that he was not making the Old Religion void, but rather he was fulfilling what the Law promised. In v. 18 Jesus was specifically saying that all of the Old Covenant Law was to remain in effect until it was all accomplished or fulfilled.

Yes, I believe Jesus was probably referring to the literal heaven and earth. However, don't get hung up on the fact that the literal heaven and earth are still with us, so why don't we keep all the Old Covenant laws? The answer is found in the final phrase of v. 18 "until all is accomplished". All the Law has passed away because all Old Covenant Law which pointed to our salvation has been accomplished. In other words, Jesus doesn't have to do anything else in order to save us. Matthew noted this fact when he wrote,

"And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. And behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split" (Matthew 27:50-51).

John also noted this as well when he wrote,

"After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, 'I am thirsty.' A jar full of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up to His mouth.  Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, 'It is finished!' And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit" (John 19:28-30).

I pray this was helpful to you.

God Bless You,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics