Seventh-Day Adventists/The Truth Behind The So Called Truth

Question
You alawys use that word "obsolete" when you speak of the Seventh day Sabbath  We will see how this holds up.
Why did Jesus teach how to keep the Seventh day Sabbath if He was going to make it obsolete? Luke 6: 1-11 we find Jesus teaching How to keep The Sbbath and He calls himself "Lord of The Sabbath" If The Sabbath is going to be obsolete then Jesus wasted his time in teaching and saying thast He was Lord of The Sabbath. If Sabbath done away with then Jesus would not have done so nor proclaim to be "Lord of THe Sabbath" This is absurd to think that Jesus does away with Sabbath but He teaches how to Keep it is utterly stupid. so, I do not think Jesus did away with Sabbath. Tiss is perfect reasoning.
Also why did Jesus even meanion the Sabbath at all in Matthew 24:20 if Sabbath to be obsolete. Jersulem was destroyed in AD 70 and Jesus knew that His people would still be thinking about His Sabbath. No, need to pray that the flight not be on the Sabbath if Sabbath obsolete. Again this is absurd to think of Jesus being stupid in knowing about the Sabbath The Sabbath was in exitence 40 years after Jerusalem was destroyed.
Also The book of Acts tells of many places where Christians kept The Sabbath in Acts 13: 14 ; Acts 13:42-44 This place was in Antioch. Was this a Jewish Settlement no!
Acts 16: 13 Tis place was in Philippi. Not a Jew Settlement. Acts 17: 2 This place was in Thesslonica and not as Jewish place. Acts 18:4 was at Corinth not a Jewish Place.

These would not be keeping Sabbath if Sabbath was done away with how absurd. The Sbbath always in Present Tense never in Past Tense. It is never called The Sabbath That Used To Be Or Was

Answer
Dear Brother Timothy:

I do often use "obsolete" when referring to the 7th day Sabbath because it is Scriptural and it fits so well when speaking of the Old Covenant.

"By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV).

The Bible clearly states what this obsolete covenant was.

"Then the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice. And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone" (Deuteronomy 4:12-13 ESV).

The Sabbath is one of these commandments and the obsolete sign of this obsolete covenant.

"The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16-17 NIV).

Jesus did not waste his time because he was a Jew living under the Old Covenant; therefore, he was required under pain of sin to observe all its demands. This adherence to the Old Covenant Law brought redemption.

"But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons" (Galatians 4:4-5 NKJV).

Jesus' proclamation that he was Lord of the Sabbath was to declare that it was he who had authority over what was to be allowed and what was not allowed on the Sabbath. Previously it was the Pharisees who held this authority. In the passage you referenced (Luke 6:1-11) note that it was the Pharisees who complained about the disciples eating grain (v.2). It was the Pharisees who prohibited healing on the Sabbath (v. 7). It was the Pharisees who fancied themselves "lords of the Sabbath" until Jesus turned their world upside down.

The fact that the Sabbath would become obsolete after the cross is not relevant. Don't forget, brother, that Jesus kept all Old Covenant laws including the ceremonial. Was that absurd of the Lord? He certainly knew that the ceremonial laws were  to become obsolete. Don't you agree that the ceremonial laws were taken away by Jesus? Yet he absurdly kept and taught keeping them.

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:17-20 NKJV).

Briefly concerning Matthew 24:20 and Jesus mention of the Sabbath, it would be a problem for Christians to travel with their possessions on the Sabbath because the Pharisees would stop them not because they would be resting on the Sabbath. For a more detailed answer see my answer at:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2013/9/matthew-20-24.htm

The meetings in the synagogues attended by Christians were not Christian meetings. They were Jewish meetings attended by Christians for the express purpose of converting those there to Christianity. The Christians were not there to observe the Sabbath.

Thank you for the questions.

Have a Blessed Day,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal