Seventh-Day Adventists/Sal contadicts Jesus?

Frank wrote at 2014-04-15 03:52:13
4 13 2014 - Sal contradicts Jesus?

<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

It was not I who first said that the Old Covenant is obsolete that was Paul! "By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV). If you don't believe this covenant included the Ten Commandments just read on into chapter 9 where Paul lists some things included in the obsolete covenant.

<<< The expert teaches that the 10 C’s were first given to man at Sinai and are just ten of 613 Old Covenant Commandments. That is what the descendants of the people that crucified Christ believe as well and they still practice much of their obsolete law. Christ rendered the Old Covenant obsolete on the cross. The moral law was not rendered obsolete, however. It is established. “Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.” (Romans 3:31 KJV) It is the broken law that sent Christ to the cross. It is nonsense to suggest that His atoning sacrifice was to do away with the moral law. And Paul certainly agrees. >>>

"Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant" (Hebrews 9:1-4 NIV).

<<< It is this ceremonial law that Christ fulfills. The earthly sanctuary is a shadow of the entire plan of salvation in its yearly round. The tabernacle and everything it contained spoke of Christ as sacrifice and Christ as High Priest. >>>

Paul an inspired writer certainly could not contradict his Lord. Jesus saying he did not come to abolish the law or the prophets (the Old Covenant) and Paul saying the first covenant (the Old Covenant) is obsolete may sound like a contradiction, but upon closer inspection is not. “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17 NASB). If not to abolish what did Jesus come to do concerning the Old Covenant? "...not come to abolish but to fulfill." Once the Old Covenant was fulfilled it became obsolete as Paul noted. This should not be controversial. If the Old Covenant has not become obsolete then we have two covenants in force today (unless one believes that the Old Covenant and the New Covenant are the same covenant). As it is we have only one covenant that we are under, the New Covenant which is the eternal covenant (cf. Hebrews 13:20).

<<< It is the eternal covenant that Adam and Eve transgressed. The law of the eternal covenant is the 10 C’s written in the heart and mind (Heb 8:10). Once transgressed, the law that was to guarantee the peace and joy of life in God’s kingdom became a death sentence. “And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.” (Romans 7:10 KJV)

The expert’s fatal flaw of logic is that he assumes the New Covenant law is unique to the New Testament and was given by the Apostles. There are several reasons this cannot be so.

The law that Adam and Eve transgressed is the broken law that sent Christ to the cross in order to save mankind (Gen 3:15). Christ is the lawgiver (Isaiah 33:22, James 4:12). The 10 C’s given at Sinai represent the entire broken moral law (Deut 5:22). It is self-evident that the moral law encompasses all righteousness and its transgression defines all sin (1 John 3:4). The moral law is one law (James 2:10). It cannot change (Psalms 111:7, 8). A Covenant is not written after the death of the one who makes it. That is quite impossible.

“For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:3-4 KJV) Once again we see that the moral law did not end with Christ’s sacrifice but is fulfilled as Christians walk “after the Spirit.” >>>  

“Unfortunately, we have fellow Christians who try to combine the Old and New covenants. They attempt to mix that which is obsolete with that which is everlasting. This practice is illegitimate and leads to theological disaster.”

<<< The expert mistakenly teaches that the 10 C’s is the Old Covenant that ended at the cross. The Decalogue may be the basis for the Old Covenant law but it is also the law of the New Covenant whose principles are established in the heart and mind through faith in Christ.   

The Old Covenant, a.k.a. “The Law”, wasn’t given as a means of salvation. Neither for God’s people in the Old Testament (the children of Israel) or God’s people in the New Testament (Christians). The Old Covenant contained two laws. The 10 C’s, the moral law that governed man from creation, and the law of sacrifices which was given to the children of Israel at Sinai. The Jewish sanctuary with is ceremonial (or ritual) law, revealed the promised savior in types and shadows. Its requirements constituted the temporary remedy for sin until Christ should accomplish His promised atoning sacrifice. This law was called a ‘tutor’ (schoolmaster KJV) by Paul as it was given to teach the children of Israel about the promised Savior, the true remedy for sin. The Old Covenant did not disannul the New Covenant promise of salvation through faith in Christ (Rom 3:28) apart from the deeds of the Old Covenant law

(Gal 3:17).

That there was a sacrificial law from the beginning of sin is seen in the promise of a savior, given when Adam and Eve sinned (Gen 3:15) and the death of animals (types of Christ’s atoning sacrifice) to cover man’s nakedness (sin) (Gen 3:21). The Mosaic Covenant was pronounced “Old” by Paul (Heb 8:13) because the temporary remedy for sin is fulfilled in Christ. The Ten C’s are not dependent upon the Law of Moses and exist independent of it. It is the Law of Moses that clarified defined and explained the 10 C’s for Israel. The Covenant promise was taken from the Jewish nation because they did not keep the Covenant (Heb 8:9) and given to a “nation” (the Christian Church) bringing forth its fruits (Mat 21:43). When Christ ratified the New Covenant promise that He would break the power of the tempter by dying in man’s stead (Gen 3:15), the moral law was not changed or done away with. Rather, when one believes, it no longer condemns and is established as the rule of life (Rom 3:31) by the power of the Holy Spirit.

“Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.” (Hebrews 10:9 KJV)

“By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” (Hebrews 10:10 KJV)

The covenant that governed the new race and was transgressed in the garden is called the second because it was ratified by the blood of Christ after the Mosaic covenant was ratified with the blood of a bull. It is the blood of Christ that cleanses from sin. Not the performance of Old Covenant rituals.  

This is the New Covenant promise:

8 “For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:”

9 “Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.” 10 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: (Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV)

Paul presents the Old Testament prophecy of Jeremiah (Jer 31:31-34) to explain the New Covenant:

“31 “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:”

32 “Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:” 33 “But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.”

34 “And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jeremiah 31:31-34 KJV)

The moral law isn’t changed and these verses prove it. That would be impossible and that is why the expert argues the Sabbath commandment must be a ceremonial law or that all the law ended at the cross.

Rather its principles are written in the heart and mind and man is restored to righteousness, just as God intended it to be in the Garden.   

In Christ’s love,

Frank

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal