Seventh-Day Adventists/Sal contadicts Jesus?

Dear Sal:

When you say the Old Covenant meaning the Ten Commandments is obsolete don't you contradict Jesus who said he came not to abolish the Old Covenant Law?

Dear Brother Jack:

It was not I who first said that the Old Covenant is obsolete that was Paul! "By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV). If you don't believe this covenant included the Ten Commandments just read on into chapter 9 where Paul lists some things included in the obsolete covenant.

"Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant" (Hebrews 9:1-4 NIV).

Paul an inspired writer certainly could not contradict his Lord. Jesus saying he did not come to abolish the law or the prophets (the Old Covenant) and Paul saying the first covenant (the Old Covenant) is obsolete may sound like a contradiction , but upon closer inspection is not.  “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17 NASB). If not to abolish what did Jesus come to do concerning the Old Covenant? "...not come to abolish but to fulfill." Once the Old Covenant was fulfilled it became obsolete as Paul noted. This should not be controversial. If the Old Covenant has not become obsolete then we have two covenants in force today (unless one believes that the Old Covenant and the New Covenant are the same covenant). As it is we have only one covenant that we are under the New Covenant which is the eternal covenant (cf. Hebrews 13:20).

Unfortunately, we have fellow Christians who try to conbine the Old and New covenants. They attempt to mix that which is obsolete with that which is everlasting. This practice is illegitimate and leads to theological disaster.    

God Bless You,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics