Seventh-Day Adventists/The Catholic Church Changed The Sabbath

Dear Sal:

The Catholic Church admits she changed the day of worship from the Sabbath to Sunday by her own authority. See the following Catholic quotes.

“Most Christians assume that Sunday is the biblically approved day of worship. The Catholic Church protests that it transferred Christian worship from the biblical Sabbath (Saturday) to Sunday, and that to try to argue that the change was made in the Bible is both dishonest and a denial of Catholic authority. If Protestantism wants to base its teachings only on the Bible, it should worship on Saturday.” Rome’s Challenge Dec 2003

“Sunday is our mark or authority...the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.” Catholic Record of London, Ontario, September 1, 1923.

“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change (Saturday Sabbath to Sunday) was her act...And the act is a mark of her ecclesiastical authority in religious things.” H.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons.

“The (Roman Catholic) Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday.” The Catholic Universe Bulletin, August 14, 1942, p. 4.

“Sunday is founded, not of scripture, but on tradition, and is distinctly a Catholic institution. As there is no scripture for the transfer of the day of rest from the last to the first day of the week, Protestants ought to keep their Sabbath on Saturday and thus leave Catholics in full possession of Sunday.” Catholic Record, September 17, 1893.

“Regarding the change from the observance of the Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday, I wish to draw your attention to the facts:

“1) That Protestants, who accept the Bible as the only rule of faith and religion, should by all means go back to the observance of the Sabbath. The fact that they do not, but on the contrary observe the Sunday, stultifies them in the eyes of every thinking man. “You are a Protestant, and you profess to go by the Bible and the Bible only; and yet, in so important a manner as the observance of one day in seven as the holy day, you go against the plain letter of the Bible, and put another day in the place of that day which the Bible has commanded.Excerpts from “Why Don’t You Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?”, pages 3-15 in The Clifton Tract, vol. 4, published by the Roman Catholic Church 1869.

You see there is no denying it. Sunday worship is an invention of the Catholic Church. Sabbath worship is an invention of God. That is the really important thing. You can't say the Catholic Church didn't invent Sunday worship.

Dear Brother Stanley:

First off it really doesn't matter what the Catholic Church claims because it was God who ended the Old Covenant and its holy days including the 7th day Sabbath (see Leviticus 23 for an inspired list of Old Covenant holy days). The covenant to which the sabbath was the sign (cf. Exodus 31:13, 16-17; Ezekiel 20:12, 20) was never meant to be eternal. The eternal covenant (cf. Hebrews 13:20) would have to wait until the coming of Christ.

"Now before faith came, we were imprisoned and guarded under the law until faith would be revealed. Therefore the law was our disciplinarian until Christ came, so that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer subject to a disciplinarian, for in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith" (Galatians 3:23-26 NRSV).

Then God did away with the entire Old Covenant including the 7th day Sabbath. "By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV). Therefore, it is a moot point that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath. The ending of the Sabbath as a necessary practice occurred long before the Catholic Church came into existence. I say, "as a necessary practice" because many devout Christians still observe the Sabbath and there is nothing wrong with that practice (cf. Romans 14:5).

I believe that it's obvious that the Catholic Church claims to have changed the Sabbath in order to show it has authority over all other Churches. Their claim to have changed the Sabbath is proved false by the above Scriptures. The statement in your quote that to follow the Bible alone means one must keep the Sabbath reveals an ignorance of the Bible as there are many texts that show the Sabbath to be for Israel and not the Church.  

In point of fact Christians did not wait until the Catholic Church came into existence to begin observing Sunday as their day for corporate worship instead of the Sabbath.

Ignatius the bishop of Antioch wrote between 107-110 AD, "[T]hose who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's day, on which also our life has sprung up again by him and by his death" (Letter to the Magnesians).

Justin Martyr wrote in 165 AD, "But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead" (First Apology).

Bardesanes wrote between 154-200 AD, "Wherever we are, we are all called after the one name of Christ Christians. On one day, the first of the week, we assemble ourselves together" (On Fate).

Therefore, the later Catholic claim to have by its authority changed the Sabbath to Sunday is proven false.

Thank you for sharing you comment.

Have a great weekend,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics