Seventh-Day Adventists/REMEMBER the Sabbath

Sal--Manny tried to help you see the Sabbath is for all God's people. Let me try in another way. Do you admit God said "REMEMBER" the Sabbath? Yet this is the very day that all Sunday keeping churches forget! Do you get that? God said "REMEMBER" and you say forget what God says. Why? I'm sure you know that to "REMEMBER" is from the 4th commandment not the 4th suggestion! Why don't you accept God's word and stop forgetting His holy day? Tina

Dear Sister Tina:

First we must ask to whom was the commandment to remember the Sabbath day given?

"Then God spoke all these words: 2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery...Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work. 10 But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and consecrated it" (Exodus 20:1-2, 8-11 NRSV).

It was to the Israelites who were brought out of Egyptian bondage that God gave the command to remember the Sabbath day. The Sabbath was to be imposed on all who were living in Israelite dominated towns (v. 10). This obviously refers to Israelites not to Christians. Do Christian Sabbath keepers impose Sabbath keeping on others? Do Sunday keeping Christians impose their "Christian Sabbath" on unbelievers? (Note: Sunday is not the Sabbath. I do not support the idea of a Christian Sabbath.) No, these groups do not impose Sabbath keeping because the command to remember the Sabbath was given to the Israelites and only to  the Israelites. It was the sign of God's covenant with them and only with them.

"Therefore the Israelites shall keep the sabbath, observing the sabbath throughout their generations, as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:16-17 NRSV).

If the Sabbath commandment is for all to remember wouldn't SDAs and other Sabbath keepers be duty bound to impose Sabbath keeping on others as commanded in Exodus 20:10? Since the Israelites had to obey all parts of the commandment on what basis do you say that today only part of the 4th commandment is still valid as a commandment and the other part is now a suggestion?

Concerning your emphasis on "remember", let's remember that God says to "remember" many things that we don't remember in the sense of observe or do. SDAs believe the law of Moses to be all the ceremonial laws of the Old Covenant.

"Remember the teaching of my servant Moses, the statutes and ordinances that I commanded him at Horeb for all Israel" (Malachi 4:4 NRSV).

Do you remember in the sense of observe or do all the ceremonial laws of Moses as God commanded on Mount Horeb aka Sinai?

Thank you for your question.

God Be With You Always,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics