Seventh-Day Adventists/The Sabbath, so what?

Question
Dear Patricia:

You and Sal have proven that Christians don't have to keep the Sabbath adnauseam. Can't we just let them believe that it's important to keep the Sabbath even though it's not? In the light of Romans 14:5-6 isn't Sabbath keeping a choice?

In the beautiful NIV:5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

So let them believe what they want it doesn't affect one's salvation. You as a former SDA know that Ellen White the false prophet taught that in the last days Sabbath keeping would determine who belonged to God. Yes that's nonsense unsupported by the Bible, but so what? It really doesn't affect me in the least. I'm save by God's grace not Sabbath keeping. So what's the big deal?

Sorry if I rant.

God bless,
Tonya

Answer
Hello Tonya,

Thank you so much for your comments and questions.

You are correct: Sabbath keeping is a choice. It was a shadow that pointed to Jesus and now we find our rest in Him every day.

I would love to drop the subject but it's practically all they want to discuss. It seems to be their mission to convince others of the necessity of Sabbath keeping instead of pointing people to Jesus, our true Sabbath rest.

You provided the perfect text:

Romans 14:5-6 (NIV)
5  One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike . Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind .
6  He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

As much as the SDA church advocates Religious Liberty, they try to take it away from non-Saturday worshipers by attempting to make them believe that believers are under Old Covenant law. I am sure you would agree that worshiping on Saturday is fine IF that is what one's conscience dictate but it doesn't give anyone authority to impose their conscience on others as a law that must be kept.

1 Corinthians 10:29 (NIV)
.......... For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?

The Bible even says that if we go against our conscience and what the Holy Spirit is telling us then it is a sin "FOR US"

James 4:17 (NIV)
17  Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

Those sending in questions are being proactive in trying to convince me about the Sabbath's importance so I respond over and over accordingly. I continue to be amazed at how clear the Bible is on the subject but they either choose to ignore what it says and to whom it is addressing or they just can't see it.

You are correct again when you said that it is not a salvific issue but unfortunately SDAs believe the Sabbath is God's seal and without the seal you can't be saved, so therein lies the problem. Until the veil is lifted they will continue to try to prove that it is applicable to all believers in face of what the Bible says about it. I will continue to enjoy my rest and freedom in Christ.

No problem with the ranting! ;-)

God bless!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen