Seventh-Day Adventists/The Ten Commandments and morality

Dear Patricia:

I saw your answer to Vic ("WOW" 06/01/14). You and Sal do an excellent job refuting SDA unbiblical falsehood. It has always amazed me that whenever you or Sal say the Ten Commandments are obsolete SDAs start the same old line. "So I can murder, commit adultery, steal, etc." Poor Sal has had to answer those childish charges for many years. It's as if SDAs are brainwashed to say the same old refuted statements no matter what. Never mind that Sal in the past and now you make it very clear that we still must act morally the SDAs still try to paint you both as promoting immorality. To SDAs I say please wake-up and actually read and consider their answers which are complete with true New Covenant morality! Why can't SDAs read what is on the page? Have they been brainwashed into believing to read non-SDA writings is a sin? Is it that they realize if the Ten Commandments are obsolete or taken away then so is the 7th day Sabbath? Do you think this is why they often bring up that anyone who questions the eternal nature of the Ten Commandments is immoral and promotes immorality? To me SDAs must be brainwashed for them to not be able to hear you when you say there is morality apart from the Ten Commandments. What do you think about this situation? Do you believe SDAs are brainwashed?

Thanks for all you do for Christ!

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments and questions.

I would not go so far as to say that they believe reading non-SDA writings is a sin but they definitely do not encourage reading from other authors. They are also told by their prophetess (Ellen White) not to read fiction and I believe the reason is because some of her writings were plagiarized from the fiction books that have been documented as part of her personal library and the saints might make the discovery.

Ellen White warned against the horrendous dangers of reading fiction:

"The readers of fiction are indulging an evil that destroys spirituality, eclipsing the beauty of the sacred page. It creates an unhealthy excitement, fevers the imagination, unfits the mind for usefulness, weans the soul from prayer, and disqualifies it for any spiritual exercise."1
Mrs. White instructed Adventist youth that they, "should keep the mind pure by avoiding the reading of novels." Ellen White, The Youth's Instructor , Feb. 20, 1896

She cautioned the youth to, "cease to read the magazines containing stories. Put away every novel."  Ellen White, The Youth's Instructor, Aug. 14, 1906

From the SDAs point of view, the Ten Commandments were effective in the Garden of Eden and is God's eternal moral law. They choose to ignore that the Ten Commandments was first given at Sinai with no hint of God reminding them of how their forefathers kept them. Until they acknowledge Scripture and believe that the law had a beginning and an end, they are not open to believing anything else.

And yes, to say that the Ten Commandments is obsolete is threatening to them because that is  where the Bible commands Israel to remember and keep the Sabbath (SDAs consider themselves modern Israel or Israel's replacement). If the Ten are done away with, their foundation cracks -- no 7th day Sabbath ritual.

I think the church did itself a disservice by placing the Sabbath doctrine in its name (7th day Adventists). Perhaps they would be open to what the Bible actually says if this were not the case. When I, Sal or anyone else say the Ten exists no longer as a unit, I believe they feel it's a personal attack on who they are (their identity) and people tend to defend their name and what they stand for (right or wrong). So, instead of really trying to hear what we are trying to share according to Scripture in context, they immediately get in defense mode, they attack and nothing is heard.

They live in their own bubble and I know this from experience. They are encouraged to stay away from worldly people, to go to Adventist schools, marry an Adventist (SDA ministers do not perform weddings between an SDA and a non SDA) and hopefully work for an Adventist church or institution. Information is controlled, members are encouraged to read only their literature and books, etc. Their books and literature are inundated with quotes from their prophetess. In addition, it is a highly legalistic and judgmental environment.

Below is a link to a fairly short article that I believe best describes the dangers of Adventism and I agree with it 100% because I have experienced it since I was a child.  After reading it, you will probably come to the conclusion that "Yes" they are brainwashed. Not only brainwashed but they live in fear although they will never admit it. Oh, how I remember those days of uncertainty about my salvation and trying to be perfect. I knew that Jesus died for me but under SDAs teaching, I had no idea what was actually accomplished and FINISHED for me on the cross. We were taught that Jesus came to show us by His example how to live a sinless life and I lived in constant fear of the Investigative Judgment unique to the SDA church.

The SDA church is education oriented and it has some very intelligent and gifted members who allow the church to mold their thinking regarding Scripture. They unquestionably march to the SDA drum beat while the church practices deliberate deception by adding and subtracting from Scripture to fit their doctrines and thereby spiritually abusing its members.

I believe the SDA church would experience a more rapid decline in membership in North America if members weren't afraid of not keeping the Sabbath and being lost. Because of this fear, they stay. For them, the Sabbath of the Ten Commandments is the seal of God and you can't be saved without the seal -- per the teachings of the church.

I ask for your prayers for me and Sal as we attempt to contend for the faith and that the Holy Spirit will soften hearts and rip the veils.

Take care and thanks again for your encouraging words.

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.