Seventh-Day Adventists/WOW

Question
What wonderful reading... now that, as you say, in your words the "law in its entirety was nailed to the Cross and fulfilled by the blood of Jesus" I can now go and beat up and (kill maybe) that man down the road that is plaguing me.  I can also go sleep with that gorgeous woman who I work with without a single worry that she has a husband and I can go and lie and cheat and steal and blaspheme and do what I like and when I like.  What wonderful freedom you have created.......

Answer
Hello Vic,

Thanks for your humor! ;-)

You are making a joke right?

Firstly, are you a Jew? If not, the law, including the Ten Commandments, did not apply to you.

Exodus 20:1-3 (KJV)
1 And God spake all these words, saying,2  I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage .3  Thou shalt have no other gods before me. ……..

Secondly, if you are a Jew (to whom the law was given), the law had a beginning and an end.  Jesus is the fulfillment and end of the law:

Galatians 3:19 (NIV)
19  What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator .

Romans 10:4 (KJV)
4  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Israel was told that if they obeyed the law, their special covenant with God, that it would be their righteousness. They problem was that they could not perfectly obey it. Jesus obeyed it for them and by fulfilling it, Jesus ended the law for their righteousness.

Deuteronomy 6:25 (NIV)
25  And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness ."

Thirdly, now that the law has been fulfilled (because the Seed came and fulfilled it) all believers are under grace and not the law. We are Spirit led and not law led.

Romans 6:14-15 (KJV)
14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace . 15  What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Fourthly, those who were once under the law and its commandments are now under the Law of Christ and we will be judged by the Law of Liberty (not the Ten Commandments).

Galatians 6:2 (KJV)
2  Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ .  (Loving and helping others)

James 2:12 (KJV)
12  So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty .

Your definition of freedom and/or liberty is not the Bible’s definition of freedom. The Law of Liberty does not give us license to sin (lawlessness). The Law of Liberty causes us to respond to Christ with gratitude, worship and praise for all He did for us and continues to do for us.

Clarke's Commentary on James 1:25

……...The law of liberty must mean the Gospel; it is a law, for it imposes obligations from God, and prescribes a rule of life; and it punishes transgressors, and rewards the obedient. It is, nevertheless, a law that gives liberty from the guilt, power, dominion, and influence of sin; and it is perfect, providing a fullness of salvation for the soul: and it may be called perfect here, in opposition to the law, which was a system of types and representations of which the Gospel is the sum and substance.

We are commanded to love God and others. Now that the Old Covenant with Israel has been fulfilled, ALL believers (including believing Jews) are given a NEW commandment under the New Covenant.

John 13:34-35 (KJV)
34  A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another . 35  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

So Vic, are you abiding by this new commandment if you sleep with that gorgeous co-worker, lie, steal, etc.?  Do you really need a written law telling you not to do such things? The Holy Spirit is more than capable of directing, teaching and empowering you.

Romans 8:14 (KJV)
14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Galatians 5:18 (KJV)
18  But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Fifthly, since the command to love is dealing with believers loving God and others, it's safe to say that we are talking about love relationships. If you love your neighbor would stealing, killing and committing adultery demonstrate acts of love?  I think not. I'm finding it interesting that you chose commandments specific to the Ten Commandments, when the acts of loving others is superseded by more than the Ten under the NC.

For instance,  

1 Corinthians 6:8-11 NKJV
No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! [9] Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, [10] nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God . [11] And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 5:9-11 NKJV
I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. [10] Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. [11] But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner-not even to eat with such a person .

The Ten Commandments was the words of the Old Covenant with Israel and the Sabbath was the sign of the covenant between God and Israel (not Gentiles).

Exodus 34:28 (KJV)
28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments .

Exodus 31:16-17 (KJV)
16  Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17  It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever : for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

My question to you is, “Do you really need laws written on stone or paper to know right from wrong? Don't your conscious speak to you and even make you feel guilty when you do something wrong or tempted to do so? Before the law was given, our conscience was our guide just as it is now.

Romans 2:14-15 (KJV)
14  For when the Gentiles, which have not the law , do by nature the things contained in the law , these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15  Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness , and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Romans 9:1 (NIV)
1 I speak the truth in Christ--I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit--  

In closing, of course you have free will and no law takes away your free will. You said that since the law was nailed to the Cross, you are questioning your freedom to do whatever you want per the example you gave.  My response is that you  are free to do whatever you want even if the law (given to Israel) was still in effect. No one is going to try to make you keep laws that didn't apply to you and those that do.

As a believer, I am led by the Spirit and His job is to talk to me, lead me and guide me into truth. He shares with me only what He hears from the Father. Having said that, it is safe to say that the Spirit will not tell me or encourage me to murder, lie, fornicate, etc.

John 16:12-15 (NIV)
12  "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13  But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14  He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15  All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you .

Can the law written on stone talk to you? The law of the Spirit of life can.

Romans 8:2 (KJV)
2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

The Spirit also empowers believers  to obey Jesus commands. Laws written on stone can only show us how sinful we are and it has no power to change us for the better. Interestingly enough, those who insist on trying to keep the law probably don't realize that the law does have some power too, and its power is to strengthen sin and to make those who are trying to keep it sin conscience.

1 Corinthians 15:56-57 (KJV)
56   The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law .57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.   

1 Corinthians 15:56-57 (NASB77)
56  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law ; 57  but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:20 (NIV)
20  Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.  

The law worked against Israel (and all those even today who keep trying to perfectly keep it) because they tried to keep it when the law’s purpose was to point them to the One who was coming to keep it and fulfill it for them .  Imperfect people cannot keep a perfect law. Jesus the perfect One is the only One who has kept the law perfectly.

Living under grace and the power of the Spirit is a beautiful thing but one has to experience it. No amount of talking and theorizing can replace the experience. It has to be experienced in order to begin to try to understand the freedom we have in Jesus and how we can truly and securely rest in Him and His work for us daily. All believers main goal is to please God by believing in His finished work for them and to act like Children of the King.  We have a responsibility to act like who we are in Christ Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 6:14 (KJV)
14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. </b>

Following are some laws we are currently under just to point out that we are not lawless:

The Law of Love, the Law of Grace, the Law of Faith, the Law of Liberty, the Law of Christ, the Law of God, natural laws that rule our lives such as the Law of Gravity, the law of motion, the law of thermodynamics, etc., the Law of the Harvest, the Law of the Spirit of Life, the Law of Sin and Death, etc.

We nor the Universe are by no means lawless and humans have the freedom to decide if we believe the Good News of the Gospel and the freedom it brings …..

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (NIV) (The Gospel in a nutshell)
1 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2  <u>By this gospel you are saved
, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.   3  For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4  that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, (the Gospel is belief in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, the freedom it brings and the fact that He did it all for us)

….OR  we can choose to believe that we have the freedom to act like the devil while claiming to be reborn children of God.

I choose to believe what the Bible says and teaches because the law that was perfectly obeyed, fulfilled on Calvary and given only to the Israelites never applied to any Gentile person or believer.

Ephesians 2:11-13 (NIV)
11 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called "uncircumcised" by those who call themselves "the circumcision" (that done in the body by the hands of men)--12  remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world . 13  But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.    

It’s really an insult to the Word of God to say that living under grace gives us the “license” to sin. All humanity is “perfect at sinning" without a license. -- it’s just the natural thing to do until one is born again. A born again person has a new heart, desires, behavior and focus. So to reiterate, trying to live under the law and trying to keep the law that was nailed to the Cross gives sin its strength and power.

So, yes, there is FREEDOM in Christ and you can have it. WOW! ;-) And NEWSFLASH: Those you try to keep and live by the law according to Scripture are under a curse....

Galatians 3:10-14 (NIV)
10  All who rely on observing the law are under a curse , for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."  11  Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith ."
12  The law is not based on faith; on the contrary , "The man who does these things will live by them." 13  Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us , for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." 14  He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit .

That's Good News! Thank God for grace and thank God for Jesus! Thank You Jesus!!!  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen