Seventh-Day Adventists/Investigative Judgement

Frank wrote at 2014-07-24 23:11:37
7 23 2014 - Investigative Judgment

<<< The expert’s response: >>>

I have written about the Investigative Judgment (IJ) in the past in a somewhat detailed fashion. There is such a large amount of biblical evidence against the IJ that I feel sometimes that one can get lost or overwhelmed by it all. So I will answer this question by pointing out just one crucial error of the SDA doctrine of the IJ. Ellen G. White (EGW) taught that the phrase "within the veil" meant that Jesus upon his ascension into heaven entered the first apartment (the Holy Place) of the heavenly sanctuary.

<<< As with all Bible phrases, they must be interpreted according to context. >>>

"The ministration of the priest throughout the year in the first apartment of the sanctuary, 'within the veil' which formed the door and separated the holy place from the outer court, represents the work of ministration upon which Christ entered at His ascension. It was the work of the priest in the daily ministration to present before God the blood of the sin offering, also the incense which ascended with the prayers of Israel. So did Christ plead His blood before the Father in behalf of sinners, and present before Him also, with the precious fragrance of His own righteousness, the prayers of penitent believers. Such was the work of ministration in the first apartment of the sanctuary in heaven" (The Great Controversy, pp. 420-421).

<<< According to context, Mrs. White’s use of the phrase “within the vail” is defined as the vail between the outer courtyard and the holy place. The Apostle Paul used the same principle when he identified the most holy place as being “after the second vail” (Heb 9:3). Context makes it very clear which vail Paul is speaking of and is a completely acceptable method of describing the most holy place (“Holiest of all” KJV) without using the phrase "within the vail". >>>

I believe I can show that EGW was completely wrong on what the phrase "within the veil" means and where Jesus entered upon his ascension. If she is wrong on these two related points then the whole IJ doctrine collapses. If the self-proclaimed messenger of God is wrong here then she cannot be trusted in her other pronouncements.

The phrase "within the veil" only occurs 6 times in the whole Bible. So let's review all these references and see what the Holy Spirit has to teach us about this phrase.

"And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy. And thou shalt put the mercy seat upon the ark of the testimony in the most holy place" (Exodus 26:33-34 KJV).

Here we learn that "within the veil", or "vail" as the KJV spells it, is the ark of the covenant. Therefore, "within the veil" could only mean the Most Holy Place or the second apartment of the sanctuary. The ark was never located in the Holy Place. There is no possible way to honestly misunderstand this reference as referring to the Holy Place or the first apartment of the sanctuary.

<<< We know that “within the vail” means the most holy place because the vail that the ark of the covenant is within is identified by Moses as the vail separating the holy place from the most holy place. The articles of furniture in the holy place were identified by Moses as being “without the vail” (Ex 40:22) or “before the vail” (Ex 40:26). >>>

"And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto Aaron thy brother, that he come not at all times into the holy place within the vail before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark; that he die not: for I will appear in the cloud upon the mercy seat" (Leviticus 16:2 KJV).

Even though the text reads "the holy place" it obviously is referring to the Most Holy Place. For that is the place where Aaron as high priest could not enter but once a year on the Day of Atonement. Aaron could go into the Holy Place "at all times", but not into the Most Holy Place. Paul noted this very fact.

<<< When the phrase “holy place” is used in the Bible, it can refer to either the holy place (1st apartment), the most holy place (2nd apartment), or the courtyard. Some other evidence must be present to determine which holy place to which the writer is referring. (In the expert’s example it is the most holy place as the mercy seat is located there.) >>>

"Now when these things have been so prepared, the priests are continually entering the outer tabernacle performing the divine worship, but into the second, only the high priest enters once a year, not without taking blood, which he offers for himself and for the sins of the people committed in ignorance" (Hebrews 9:6-7 NASB).  

<<< There is no mention of a vail in these two verses by Paul. The “second” referenced here by Paul is the most holy place and is defined by him as being “after the second vail” and not “within the vail”. There is no rule that the most holy place must always be identified by the phrase “within the vail”. What is necessary is that it be described in a fashion so as to avoid confusion as to which vail is spoken of. As always, context is key. >>>

The phrase, "within the vail before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark" makes this verse unmistakably refer to the Most Holy Place where the ark was kept.

"And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the Lord, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the vail: And he shall put the incense upon the fire before the Lord, that the cloud of the incense may cover the mercy seat that is upon the testimony, that he die not" (Leviticus 16:12-13 KJV).

Again, the ark was located in the Most Holy Place. Therefore, this reference to the phrase "within the veil" refers to the Most Holy Place.

"Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat" (Leviticus 16:15 KJV).

Here we have blood being sprinkled on and before the mercy seat which is upon the ark. This, then, is another clear reference to "within the veil" obviously meaning entering the Most Holy Place.

<<< The expert has just presented three verses from Leviticus chapter 16 that describe the service of the sanctuary on the Day of Atonement. This is the one day of the year that the High Priest is allowed to enter the most holy place and not die and Moses used the phrase  “within the vail” when describing the high priest’s duties in the most holy place. Again, it is context that determines which vail and not the use of the phrase “within the vail”. >>>

"Therefore thou and thy sons with thee shall keep your priest's office for everything of the altar, and within the vail; and ye shall serve: I have given your priest's office unto you as a service of gift: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death" (Numbers 18:7 KJV).

Only Aaron and his sons could enter the Most Holy Place "within the veil".

<<< The expert has tripped over his own argument and shown it to be false. He has already quoted the verse (Lev 16:2) that says only the high priest (Aaron in this case) shall enter into the “holy place within the vail before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark”. He says it is a reference to the most holy place and we agree. However, Aaron's sons were not allowed to enter the most holy place on any day of the year, only the high priest could enter and only once a year on the Day of Atonement. Therefore the verse quoted by the expert, “Everything of the altar, and within the vail” (Num 18:7) must be a reference to the courtyard with its altar of burnt offering (“everything of the altar”) and the holy place (“within the vail”) not the most holy place because the sons were prohibited from entering there. >>>

"Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec" (Hebrews 6:19-20 KJV).

This is the lone New Testament reference for the phrase "within the veil". These verses instruct us that Jesus entered "within the veil" as our high priest. Again, the special privilege of the high priest was that only he was permitted to enter the Most Holy Place. Jesus as a better high priest than Aaron could do no less.

<<< The high priest could enter the most holy place only once a year and that was on the Day of Atonement. If he did so on any other day he would die. In type, Christ as our high priest served in the holy place until the anti-typical Day of Atonement on Oct. 22, 1844 when He began His work in the most holy place of the cleansing of the true sanctuary in heaven. Note: Christ would not die if He entered the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary as he never sinned but he ministered in the holy place until 1844 in fulfillment of the type (see Lev chapter 16, Daniel 8:14). >>>

We have now reviewed all the Bible verses that contain the phrase "within the veil". While it is true that there were two veils in the ancient sanctuary one between the outer court and the Holy Place and one between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place it is obvious that without exception when the Holy Spirit mentions "within the veil" it refers to the Most Holy Place or the second apartment of the sanctuary. EGW was simply wrong when in the Great Controversy she said it referred to the first apartment or the Holy Place. "The ministration of the priest throughout the year in the first apartment of the sanctuary, 'within the veil' which formed the door and separated the holy place from the outer court..."

<<< As we have already seen that is not the case. >>>

EGW was apparently confused on the biblical meaning of "within the veil". She did not always write that it referred to the Holy Place. She may have believed that she could use the phrase as she saw fit even when at variance with the Holy Spirit's definition.

<<< It has already been shown that the phrase “within the vail” was not necessary to identify the most holy place. >>>

In the following example she correctly used the phrase to refer to the second apartment or the Most Holy Place of the sanctuary. "I saw the Father rise from the throne, and in a flaming chariot go into the holy of holies within the veil, and sit down" (Early Writings, p. 55). This was a correct usage of "within the veil" as defined by the Holy Spirit.

<<< The phrase “within the vail” can be used to identify either the holy or most holy places of the sanctuary as long as there is some other contextual means of identifying the apartment. >>>

EGW's misinterpretation of "within the veil" as in the Great Controversy quote above is directly linked to her assertion that Jesus upon his ascension entered the first apartment or the Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary. The question of whether or not there is actually a sanctuary in heaven is debatable. For this answer I will assume that there is a sanctuary in heaven.

<<< It is hard to believe that anyone would say there may not be a sanctuary in heaven as the earthly sanctuary was patterned after it. "Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man." (Heb 8:1-2 KJV) >>>

I believe I can show with certainty to the unbiased person that EGW was wrong about the place Jesus entered upon his ascension. Stephen, the first martyr, saw Jesus at God's right hand in the first century. "But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God" (Acts 7:55 NASB).

Mark confirmed that Jesus upon his ascension went immediately to the right hand of God. "So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God" (Mark 16:19 NASB).

Peter three times confirmed that Jesus was at the right hand of God in the first century. "...Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him" (1 Peter 3:21-22 ESV). "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear" (Acts 2:33 NASB). "He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins" (Acts 5:31 NASB).

<<< When Jesus was restored to His rightful position at the right hand of the Father, He began His work as intercessor in the holy place of the heavenly sanctuary. >>>

Paul quite often and rather matter-of-factly confirmed that Jesus was at the right hand of God in the first century. "Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us" (Romans 8:34 NKJV). "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God" (Colossians 3:1 NKJV). "...After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Hebrews 1:3 ESV). "Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens" (Hebrews 8:1 NASB). "But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God" (Hebrews 10:12 ESV). "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2 NASB).

John even heard Jesus speak of his own location in heaven in the first century. "The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne" (Revelation 3:21 ESV).

<<< John wrote Revelation at about the age of 90 years. He was the last of the original Apostles and was shown in vision what was “shortly to come to pass” (Rev 1:1). He was told to write it in a book and send it to the seven churches in Asia (see Rev 1:11). These seven messages (Rev 2:1 – Rev 3:18) also represent seven time periods of the Christian church. Interestingly, John first sees Jesus among the seven candlesticks which are in the Holy place of the heavenly sanctuary. This is just where we would expect to find Him knowing the Old Testament typology. Again He is told, “Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.” (Revelation 1:19 KJV) It isn’t until immediately following the message to the seventh and final church, Laodicea, which means a judging of the people, that the verse presented by the expert as proof that Christ’s location since His resurrection was on His Father’s throne is presented. However, as we have just seen, it was not until the “judging of the people” which is the judgment that began on Oct. 22 1844 and marks the beginning of the time period of the final church that this event takes place and the chronology of the vision given to John confirms it. >>>

All these references to "the right hand of God" and to the throne of God make it extremely clear that Jesus upon his ascension went into the Most Holy Place in the heavenly sanctuary. In the type on earth where did the Ark of the Covenant rest? It was always placed in the Most Holy Place. In fact the Most Holy Place was most holy because God dwelt there. Therefore, in the anti-type in heaven God's dwelling place is in the Most Holy Place. The EGW/SDA teaching that Jesus upon his ascension went into the Holy Place and ministered there until October 22, 1844 is without biblical support.

<<< The entire Old Testament supports the view of an end of the age Day of Atonement and a closing of probationary time. The Jewish Old Covenant period of probation began at the same time as the probationary period for the New Covenant Church in the fall of 457 B. C. according to Dan 9:25 (“Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem . . .”) and stretches to Oct. 22, 1844 for the New Covenant Church. (“And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.” Dan 8:14 KJV) The sanctuary was of such fundamental importance to the children of Israel that even today those descendants of the Jews who denied the first coming of Christ and continue to deny Him still want to rebuild their temple and re-institute temple worship. Their probationary period was determined from the same 2300 years of the prophecy that determines the end of the probationary period for the New Covenant Church. "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. (Daniel 9:24 KJV) The Jews crucified their savior in the midst of the last seven years of this prophecy and sealed the fate of their nation when they stoned Stephen and their probationary period ended in failure. New Covenant Israel's probationary period is soon to end when the anti-typical Day of Atonement is completed at the end of the 2300 year prophecy. As in the typical service, any one with unconfessed sins is cut off from among the people. "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." (Revelation 14:12 KJV) >>>

Thank you for the question. I pray that this answer enlightens you.

<<< Jesus told His disciples, “In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (John 14:2-3 KJV). If Jesus can prepare a place for us while seated at the right hand of the Father he can certainly serve as high priest in the holy place of the heavenly sanctuary while seated at the right hand of the Father. >>>

God Be With You,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal