Seventh-Day Adventists/Hallo,brethren

Question
My question is  "Does the Bible forbid Blood transfusion?"  
lets take this example.'   The  bible forbid us to drink alcoholic drinks,now assume that you are sick, you go to hospital and the doctor tell you that you must be injected drips of beer, i don't  think that you can agree with that",   
so lets turn to this bible verse
leviticus 17:14 ; 19:26 and Genesis 9:4 where God forbid the use of blood as food ,  so can you agree the blood injected to your body? If God command to eat not blood."

Answer
Dear Gisbert, Thanks for your question but there are a few things wrong with the assumptions concerning this question. Please remember that you can make the Bible say anything you want it to but it does not mean that it is truth.  For example Matthew 27:5 says that Judas left the temple and then went out and hanged himself.  Now compare Luke 10:37 where Jesus says “Go and do likewise.”  So should we all  obey Jesus and go and hang ourselves?  This is a silly assumption, right? It is called fractured theology.  It is just as silly to read one passage of Scripture and then base all your beliefs on that one verse.  To get a correct understanding of the Bible you must follow the cardinal rules some of which are, compare all verses on the subject under consideration, understand the context in which the Bible verse is being used, always go with a clear verse of Scripture rather than an obscure verse on the same subject  and so forth.  Now the first thing to notice is that each text you quoted about the eating of blood is in the context of bird and animal blood.  The Scripture is talking about eating animal and bird blood.  How do we know this?  Well in case someone misses the introduction of the chapter where it is speaking about bird and animal blood then a person can deduce this from the verse itself which you quote above.  Leviticus 19:26 reads “You shall not eat anything with the blood.”  Since we do not eat people then if you think about it this command must be referring to animal foods.   Let’s look at your other verse,  Genesis 9:4 which reads “But flesh with the life thereof which is the blood therefore shall ye not eat.”   Well, do you eat human flesh?  Of course not so this verse cannot apply to human blood.  And if you say that I am not interpreting the verse correctly then what are you going to do with Jesus’ words when He said  “I give my blood for the life of the world“ or “unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you”?     You see Gisbert we must study Scripture where you let it interpret itself and always ask that the Holy Spirit guide us in our understanding so that we don’t jump to wrong conclusions just because some organization tells you so.  Incidentally I am amazed when individuals are so adamant about not giving or receiving blood transfusions because they claim it is “eating blood” yet they think nothing about eating bacon and ham and shellfish which is found in the same chapters of Leviticus (Chapter 11) and which God explicitly forbids.  Jesus stated that “no greater love hath a man than he give his life for his brother (or sister).”  When a person donates their life blood to save another the words of Jesus are literally fulfilled.  If you think about it, it just doesn’t make sense that a person would let another person die for lack of blood when it is in their power to save them all because they base their belief on a verse of Scripture that has not been rightly understood. So to answer the question, no, the Bible does not forbid blood transfusions.  Thanks for writing and please remember to stay close to the Lord and talk to Him often.  He loves you very much so please continue your studies and your close walk with the Lord.  Your friend, anthony  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Anthony