Seventh-Day Adventists/Where is the Sabbath taken away?

Frank wrote at 2015-12-16 15:53:39
The expert’s response:

I don't believe that you have a valid argument here. I don't believe that we may require God to act in any certain manner. God does make things clear, but not always with the display He used at Sinai. In contrast to the giving of the Old Covenant Law amidst loud, awesome thunder & lightning (Exodus 19:16-19) Jesus gave us the New Covenant Law quietly on a gentle hill (Matthew 5:1 ff). Yet I'm sure you would agree that the New Covenant is certainly valid even without a big display of lightning & thunder. The Sermon on the Mount supersedes and renders the Old Covenant Law including the Sabbath obsolete (Hebrews 8:13).  No similar display like Israel witnessed at Sinai is required in order to cancel the Old Covenant.

<<< “Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.” (See Matthew 5:17-48)

No, friends. Jesus didn’t do away with the Ten C’s on the cross. In the book of Matthew chapter 5 He magnified the law and He honored it. Jesus didn’t give the New Covenant law in the book of Matthew. The New Covenant law is the principles of the Ten Commandments written in the heart and mind and obeyed out of love for the Redeemer. That is just how it was to have been from the beginning but A&E’s sin in the garden interrupted that plan. >>>

Why did God employ such a display of power at Sinai? The display was meant to frighten the spiritually immature Israelites into obedience.

"When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, 'Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.'  Moses said to the people, 'Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning'" (Exodus 20:18-20 NIV).

We Christians don't need to be frightened into obedience. We obey God because of our love.

<<< The children of Israel had grown up in bondage among an idolatrous people with little knowledge of the true God and His law. The display at Sinai was not to make the children of Israel afraid of God but to instill in them a respect for the sacredness of His holy law and the dire consequences of transgressing it. He then gave them the temporary sacrificial law through Moses. The ceremonial ordinances (or law) displayed His love for His people in types and shadows, the promised sacrifice of His only son, Jesus, who would die for the sins of the People. >>>

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love. We love because he first loved us" (1 John 4:18-19 NRSV; cf. John 13:34-35; 15:9-12; 1 John 3:21-24).

Of course it would be rather simplistic to say the all Israelites obeyed out of fear and all Christians obey out of love. Certainly many Old Testament saints loved God and taught others to obey out of love.  "Therefore take careful heed to yourselves, that you love the Lord your God" (Joshua 23:11 NKJV; cf. Psalm 18:1).  However, my point still stands that the Israelites needed to be frightened into obedience at the very start of their relationship as God's people and generally Christians don't need the same fear.

<<< Good point, but that has nothing to do with the law itself. The two great commandments in the law, love for God and love for neighbor, are defined by the ten and are found in both the Old and New Testaments.

Deuteronomy 6:5 KJV “And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”

Matthew 22:37 KJV “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.”

Leviticus 19:18 KJV “Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.”

Matthew 22:39 KJV “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” >>>

Paul very eloquently tells us of the contrast between Mt. Sinai and Mt. Zion, between the Old and New covenants, between Israelites and Christians.

"For you have not come to what may be touched, a blazing fire and darkness and gloom and a tempest  and the sound of a trumpet and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that no further messages be spoken to them.  For they could not endure the order that was given, 'If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned.' Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, 'I tremble with fear.'  But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering,  and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,  and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel" (Hebrews 12:18-24 ESV).

In the final analysis the Sabbath as the sign of the Old Covenant (Exodus 31:13, 16-17) went with the rest of that covenant into obsolesce.  " By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV; cf. Romans 6:14; 7:1-6; Galatians 3:17-19, 23-25; 5:18).

<<< It is unfortunate that so many are deceived by this argument. The Old Covenant was rendered obsolete by Christ’s atoning sacrifice on the cross but the Ten C’s did not change or go away.

Here is the context for the quote that, according to the expert, says the Ten Commandments are now obsolete. The reality is there is no change in the law.

"For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.” (Hebrews 8:7-13 KJV)

The Apostle Paul also clears up any possible confusion concerning the law when he writes,

“Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. Do we then make void the law (nomos) through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law (nomos).” (Romans 3:30-31 KJV)

And finally from the book of Matthew that contains what the expert says is the New Covenant law,

“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:17-19 KJV)

It isn’t until the wicked are consumed in the lake of fire and the earth is recreated new that this heaven and this earth can be said to have passed

away. >>>

God Bless You,

Brother Sal

<<< In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics