Seventh-Day Adventists/Where is the Sabbath taken away?

Dear Sal:
You say the Sabbath and the Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant so they are both obsolete now. How do we know this? Because you say so? God makes things very clear to His children so there are no mistakes.  In giving the Ten Commandments God left no doubt what was expected of His children.  There was great lightning and thunder. Then the Ten Commandments were given. No mistake was possible. If God had taken away the Sabbath where is this made clear like the giving of the Sabbath to Israel was made clear?

Dear Brother Mark:

I don't believe that you have a valid argument here. I don't believe that we may require God to act in any certain manner. God does make things clear, but not always with the display He used at Sinai. In contrast to the giving of the Old Covenant Law amidst loud, awesome thunder & lightning (Exodus 19:16-19) Jesus gave us the New Covenant Law quietly on a gentle hill (Matthew 5:1 ff). Yet I'm sure you would agree that the New Covenant is certainly valid even without a big display of lightning & thunder. The Sermon on the Mount supersedes and renders the Old Covenant Law including the Sabbath obsolete (Hebrews 8:13).  No similar display like Israel witnessed at Sinai is required in order to cancel the Old Covenant.

Why did God employ such a display  of power at Sinai? The display was meant to frighten the spiritually immature Israelites into obedience.

"When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, 'Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.'  Moses said to the people, 'Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning'" (Exodus 20:18-20 NIV).

We Christians don't need to be frightened into obedience. We obey God because of our love.

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love. We love because he first loved us" (1 John 4:18-19 NRSV; cf. John 13:34-35; 15:9-12; 1 John 3:21-24).

Of course it would be rather simplistic to say the all Israelites obeyed out of fear and all Christians obey out of love. Certainly many Old Testament saints loved God and taught others to obey out of love.  "Therefore take careful heed to yourselves, that you love the Lord your God" (Joshua 23:11 NKJV; cf. Psalm 18:1).  However, my point still stands that the Israelites needed to be frightened into obedience at the very start of their relationship as God's people and generally Christians don't need the same fear.

Paul very eloquently tells us of the contrast between Mt. Sinai and Mt. Zion, between the Old and New covenants, between Israelites and Christians.

"For you have not come to what may be touched, a blazing fire and darkness and gloom and a tempest  and the sound of a trumpet and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that no further messages be spoken to them.  For they could not endure the order that was given, 'If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned.' Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, 'I tremble with fear.'  But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering,  and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,  and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel" (Hebrews 12:18-24 ESV).

In the final analysis the Sabbath as the sign of the Old Covenant (Exodus 31:13, 16-17) went with the rest of that covenant into obsolesce.  " By calling this covenant 'new,' he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear" (Hebrews 8:13 NIV; cf. Romans 6:14; 7:1-6; Galatians 3:17-19, 23-25; 5:18).

God Bless You,
Brother Sal  

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics