Seventh-Day Adventists/If you love me, Keep my commandments

Sal, I am a SDA and my question to you is What did Jesus mean when He said "if you love me, Keep my commandments" If all our efforts are as filthy rags then it is impossible to keep the 10 commandments. When you break one you break them all. That seems legalistic to me. The Pharisees where hell bent on keeping the letter of the law yet it got them nowhere. It is only Christ living in me that I can keep anything. Did he not offer Eternal life as a free gift and that nothing we do can earn our way into heaven? If this is so how do we treat that statement? Legalistic SDA are always using that vs and I can't answer it anymore. Thank you for your help

Dear Kelley:

In John 14:15 Jesus meant that his followers would keep his commandments and, by extension, the commandments of the Apostles. Of course we do fail at times, but we keep trying to practice godliness. We are to do all that we do for the love of Christ. If you read chapter 14 of John you will quickly see the emphasis on love. That is the difference between a Christian and a non-Christian we do all for the love of Christ. The Pharisees indeed tried to keep all of God's commandments, but it was not from a pure love of God. They were self-righteous individuals wanting to make themselves look good before men.

"But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men" (Matthew 23:5-7 NASB).

You did not say how the legalistic SDAs were using this verse so I can't comment on that. I pray that this answer was helpful to you.

Have a Blessed Day,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics