Seventh-Day Adventists/The Ten Commandments and the Old Covenant

Frank wrote at 2015-03-14 05:58:38
3 12 2015 - The Ten Commandments and the Old Covenant

<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

It amazes me that so clear a biblical statement as the Ten Commandments are the Old Covenant can be so difficult for SDAs to accept.

<<< The problem isn’t with the statement that the 10 C’s are “the Old Covenant” or “the words of the Old Covenant.” >>>

"Then the LORD spoke to you from the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of words, but you saw no form—only a voice.  So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone" (Deuteronomy 4:12-13 NASB).

<<< We believe that the Ten Commandments represent the moral law that Adam and Eve transgressed when they ate from the forbidden tree and it is the same moral law that all have transgressed as a result of Adam and Eve’s sin. “The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.”

(Psalms 111:7-8 KJV) We believe the Ten Commandments reflect the unchanging and eternal character of God, which is love

(1 John 4:8). >>>

I believe that this serves to show how blinding a closed mind can be. There is no doubt to the unbiased open mind that the Ten Commandments are the Old Covenant.  "So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone." Paul noted this same blindness among the unbelieving Jews.

<<< The Ten Commandments written by God in stone are the Old Covenant. Those same principles written in the heart and mind by God are the basis of the New Covenant promise of righteousness through faith in Christ. "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31 KJV)

The first covenant became obsolete, not the law. It is

established. >>>

"But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.  But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart" (2 Corinthians 3:14-15 NKJV).

<<< Apostate Protestantism, in rejecting the Sabbath of the 4th commandment and embracing the Papal Sabbath has made an “image to the beast,” which is the Roman Church (Rev 13:14). To his credit, the expert has said he does not support enforced Sunday observance. Nevertheless, the Catholic Church has said it is a doctrine to which all must adhere. >>>   

While no passage can be any clearer then Deuteronomy 4:12-13 that the Ten Commandments are the Old Covenant, Deuteronomy chapter 9 reiterates that the Ten Commandments, the tablets of stone, are the Old Covenant.

"When I went up on the mountain to receive the tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant that the LORD had made with you, I stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water. The LORD gave me two stone tablets inscribed by the finger of God. On them were all the commandments the LORD proclaimed to you on the mountain out of the fire, on the day of the assembly. At the end of the forty days and forty nights, the LORD gave me the two stone tablets, the tablets of the covenant... So I turned and went down from the mountain while it was ablaze with fire. And the two tablets of the covenant were in my hands" (Deuteronomy 9:9-11, 15 NIV).

You need to stop believing that which is demonstrably unbiblical. In deed your belief that the Ten Commandments are not the Old Covenant is the exact opposite of what the Bible actually teaches. So swallow your pride and accept what the Bible clearly teaches, i.e., that the Ten Commandments were the Old Covenant. “So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone."

<<< Notice the phrase, “which He commanded you to perform”. The New Covenant was made with the house of Israel and the house of Judah because they did not perform (keep) the first covenant. “For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

(Hebrews 8:8-9 KJV)” >>>

You mention Hebrews 8:13 which is a clear passage that the first or Old Covenant is ready to vanish away or become obsolete. You don't think that this covenant includes the Ten Commandments. What does the Bible teach? Paul continues his thought into chapter 9 where he lists some of the things belonging to the obsolete Old Covenant: "the tablets of the covenant" (v. 4). So once again the Bible states that the Ten Commandments belong to the Old Covenant. The same covenant that you admit has been taken away.

<<< The first covenant does not become old and ready to vanish away until the New Covenant is established. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:” (Hebrews 8:10 KJV) The law that was written in stone at Sinai is written in the heart and mind by Christ. It does not vanish away. Only then does Paul follow up with the statement, “In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.” (Hebrews 8:13 KJV)  Next Paul tells us, “Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.” (Hebrews 9:1 KJV) Those furnishings in the earthy sanctuary (which includes the Ark of the Covenant with the tables of stone (vs. 4)) are only copies of the furnishings in the true sanctuary in heaven where Christ went at His ascension and where He is now interceding as our High Priest in behalf of repentant sinners. The Hebrew sanctuary and its services were rendered obsolete by Christ's atoning sacrifice while under the New Covenant He writes the principles of the Decalogue in our hearts and minds.

Until the expert wakes up to the fact that the 10 C’s represent the moral law that Adam and Eve transgressed when they ate from the forbidden tree, he will continue to deceive and be deceived. >>>  

Thank you for sharing your comments.

Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics