Seventh-Day Adventists/The Moral Law

Question
Dear Patricia:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement and why do you believe that? "The Ten Commandments are the eternal moral law of God."

Thanks,
Sandra

Answer
Hello Sandra,

Thank you for your question.

I disagree that the Ten Commandments are the eternal moral law of God. The fact that the word eternal means without beginning or end; lasting forever; always existing (as opposed to being temporal) affirms my position. The law, which included the Ten Commandments, had a beginning and an end. It began at Mt. Sinai and it ended when Jesus died on the cross. Jesus is the fulfillment of the law. Furthermore, the law was given to a specific people, God's chosen people, the Israelites.

The Ten Commandments specifically were the words of the covenant between God and the Israelites. Gentiles were never invited into this covenant agreement. Gentiles were without the law and strangers to the covenant of Israel.

The Ten Commandments were the words of the covenant between God and Israel.

Exodus 34:28 (ASV)
28  And he was there with Jehovah forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The beginning of the law: The law was given at Mt. Sinai to Moses for the Israelites rescued from Egypt.

Exodus 24:12 (ASV)
12  And Jehovah said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee the tables of stone, and the law and the commandment, which I have written, that thou mayest teach them.

The end of the law: Christ fulfilled the law and Christ is the end of the law for those who believe in Him.

Romans 10:4 (KJV)
4  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Romans 10:4 (AMP)
4  For Christ is the end of the Law [the limit at which it ceases to be, for the Law leads up to Him Who is the fulfillment of its types, and in Him the purpose which it was designed to accomplish is fulfilled. That is, the purpose of the Law is fulfilled in Him] as the means of righteousness (right relationship to God) for everyone who trusts in and adheres to and relies on Him.

There was a time when the law (including the Ten) did not exist so what was known as sin subsequent to receiving the law, was not charged to the people before the law was given.

Romans 5:13 (AMP)
13  [To be sure] sin was in the world before ever the Law was given , but sin is not charged to men's account where there is no law [to transgress].

Adam and Eve were not subject to the Ten Commandments. The only command given to them was to not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 2:16-17 (ASV)
16  And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17  but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

I tried to strictly confine myself to your question. If the Ten Commandments are eternal, why would God contradict Himself by saying that believers are not under the law but are now led by the Spirit?

Romans 8:14 (KJV)
14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Romans 6:14 (KJV)
14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.  

Romans 8:1-2 (KJV)
1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

What is the law of sin and death? It is the law engraven in stone - the Ten Commandments.

2 Corinthians 3:7-9 (ASV)
7  But if the ministration of death, written, and engraven on stones , came with glory, so that the children of Israel could not look stedfastly upon the face of Moses for the glory of his face; which glory was passing away:
8  how shall not rather the ministration of the spirit be with glory?  
9  For if the ministration of condemnation hath glory, much rather doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

God bless!  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen