Seventh-Day Adventists/10 Commandments

I have seen on answers provided by you and Sal that he 10 commandments are abolished and I agree Hebrews 8:13 states that fact.  What I am troubled by is why does John in Rev 11:19 see Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant. The 10 commandments are in the ark so why does he see this in heaven if the 10 commandments are abolished?

Hello Charles,

Thank you so much for your question. Interestingly enough, while I was reading about two weeks ago, Revelation 11:19 popped out at me and I had begun some research on it.

I have accepted the fact that Scripture does not contradict itself so when I come across something that seems to be a contradiction, I try to find as many Scriptures as possible relating to the subject to get better understanding with the help of the Holy Spirit.

From what I have gathered, Jesus is the Ark of His covenant. Please note that the text does not say that John saw the Ten Commandments inside. Our minds automatically went there because the Ten were in the earthly sanctuary.

I am sure you are aware that the earthly physical sanctuary symbolized spiritual realities and they all pointed to Jesus. Everything was a type of Him and/or His work. The Bible says that the ark was made of shittim wood (incorruptible), and overlaid with pure gold.  These materials represent a Type of Christ in His twofold nature, incorruptible humanity and pure divinity.

The earthly ark is where the law or the Old Covenant was kept which is why it is called the Ark of the Covenant.  Born under the law, Jesus kept the law contained in the earthly portable ark perfectly for us and He fulfilled its requirements with His blood.

In Matthew 26:26-28 (ASV) Jesus told His disciples the following:

26  And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it; and he gave to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 27  And he took a cup, and gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28  for this is my blood of the covenant , which is poured out for many unto remission of sins.

These words were spoken by Jesus before His suffering, death, burial and resurrection. His body and His blood were the price that God required for the forgiveness of our sins and this allowed the reconciliation of our relationship with God that was lost in the Garden of Eden. Jesus' blood replaced the blood sacrifices that had only covered the sins of the people and His blood was far superior to the blood of lambs and goats in that it allowed total forgiveness for the sins of the world instead of a mere covering. Therefore, the blood of Jesus became the New Covenant (“My blood of the covenant”) and Jesus is the Ark of it .

I found it interesting that John in Revelation 11:19 used the pronoun "His" covenant instead of "the" covenant.

Revelation 11:19 (ASV)
19  And there was opened the temple of God that is in heaven; and there was seen in his temple the ark of his covenant ; and there followed lightnings, and voices, and thunders, and an earthquake, and great hail.

The pronoun "His" refers to a Person, whereas the article "the" refers to a thing. Under the OC, the wooden box was the keeper and/or container of the covenant and under the NC, Jesus is the keeper and container of the covenant and the covenant promises. So we have a person versus a thing.

His covenant, the New Covenant, was made between God and Himself and no tangible object such as the Ten Commandments can represent Him - only His blood.

When we think about Noah's Ark and what it symbolized, we see that it was a place of protection and security; a refuge.  This holds true for the Ark of the Covenant as it represented God's presence that always went before the Israelites in their travels and times of war to provide and keep them safe.

Everything in the earthly sanctuary pointed to Jesus.  If we were to examine the history of the ark there would be striking resemblances to the ministry of Jesus our Lord. For instance…..

The ark went before the people - Jesus went before them:
John 10:4 "And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.

The ark was in the middle of God's people - Jesus is in His people:
John 14:20 "At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

The people were to follow the ark - We are to follow Jesus:
Matthew 16:24 (ASV) 24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

The ark was always first to lead them. It was death to those that were enemies of God. The ark brought blessings and curses.

As I close, take a look at the following as evidence that everything pointed to Jesus and fulfilled in Him:

The laver -- Jesus is the Water of Life
The shewbread -- Jesus is the Bread of life
The candlesticks -- Jesus is the Light of the world
The altar of incense -- the Holy Spirit that testifies of Jesus
The lamb -- Jesus is the Sacrifice for our sin
The scapegoat -- Jesus took away the sin of the world.
The blood -- His shed blood cleanses us from our sin.
The priest -- Jesus offered Himself for our redemption
The Shekinah glory -- Jesus was God's very Presence on this earth: "Emmanuel, God with us."
The mercy seat -- Christ is our Mercy Seat.
The white linen -- the Righteousness of Christ
The red linen -- the blood shed for our forgiveness
The blue linen -- the Divinity of Christ
The purple linen -- the Kingship of Christ
The High Priest -- Jesus is our High Priest
The Day of Atonement -- Calvary
The Ark - The presence and glory of God.
The manna - Jesus the Bread of Life
The rod that budded  - Represents Jesus' death and His supernatural resurrection.
The veil – Jesus’ body that torn for our forgiveness and reconciliation.
The Ten Commandments –  God’s holiness, His righteousness and His requirement for obedience for Israel. Only Jesus obeyed the law perfectly.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.” (Romans 3:20-22)

I truly believe that Jesus is indeed, the Ark of His Covenant, our Ark of safety, protection and security. He is indeed the Keeper (Ark) of the covenant that was made between God and Himself.

The above are my meager findings thus far and what makes sense to me according to Scripture. I hope it helps. Be blessed!  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.