Seventh-Day Adventists/salvation

Question
QUESTION: What does it mean that only law-keepers will be saved?

Saved from what?

ANSWER: Jennifer,

Saved from what?  From eternal (i.e., permanent) destruction (i.e., the second death; Revelation 20:11-15).  The Bible plainly states that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) and that all we, like sheep, have gone astray (i.e., sinned at one time or another; Isaiah 53:6).  So, without Christ, we must all be rewarded with the second death.  Jesus Christ would save us from that.

Now, many will object to the part of your first statement that only law-keepers will be saved.  They will point out, and justifiably so, that the saved are saved by grace, not by works, and that salvation is a gift which cannot be earned (Ephesians 2:8,9).  I don't disagree with that.  However, such people have mistakenly classified all law-keeping as "works" and, therefore, all works as legalism.  However, there is law-keeping which is done to avoid punishment (to try and earn a reward; legalism) and there is law-keeping which is done because one loves the law-giver (to try and show our love in return; patriotism).

This is what Jesus was talking about when He said that only law-keepers would be saved (Matthew 7:21-23).  The "works" He condemned, as iniquity, in those verses does not mean that all works are iniquity.  In the parable of the Coming King (Matthew 25:34-46) He plainly indicated that good (unselfish) works are expected of His People.  Thus, it is quite evident that the people Jesus was talking about in Matthew 7:22,23 were doing selfish (legalistic) works in an attempt to earn their own reward (Matthew 6:1-18).  Recognition and reward from the Godhead cannot be earned by doing our own works -- but will be recognized and rewarded, nevertheless, by doing God's works.  Law-keeping out of love is one of those.

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Sincerely,
Dave

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply, but I still could use some clarity.

What is the "second death"?

Is the eternal soul only possible for those who believe
in one theology?

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Jennifer,

Already answered that the second death only occurs when eternal (i.e., permanent) destruction  is meted out to the impenitent (Revelation 20:11-15).  The first death is a death called "sleep" (John 11:11-14) from which all will be "awakened" either in the first or the second resurrections (John 5:28,29) which are one thousand years apart from each other (Revelation 20:4-6).

As for an "eternal soul" we all must first realize that humans do not have a soul.  Rather, according to the Bible, humans *are* living souls or beings (Genesis 2:7).  So, according to that verse, when God took the dust of the ground and combined it with His Breath then He made a living soul which He called "Man."  If you remove the Breath of Life from Man's nostrils, then all that is left is the dust of the earth (Ecclesiastes 12:7; the English word "spirit" in that verse is actually the word "breath" in the Hebrew).  There is no "soul" that lives on after the living soul has died (Ezekiel 18:4).  By extension, then, everything that has breath in its nostrils (or air in its gills) *is* also a living soul (Revelation 16:3).

So, yes, eternal life is only given to those who believe in one theology.  But, I'm not talking about a theology such as Catholicism, Judaism, Mohammadism, or even Seventh-Day Adventism.  Rather, I'm talking about the Theology of the Godhead of Heaven which is directly represented by the Savior, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God (the Ancient of Days).  He says there is only one theology that saves:

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.  And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."  (John 10:14-16)

And here, speaking of the first death and then the second death:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."  (John 11:25,26)

Sincerely,
Dave

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark