Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath

Frank wrote at 2016-01-27 03:56:19
7 17 2015 - Sabbath

<<< The expert’s answer: >>>

"Then God spoke all these words, saying, 'I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery'" (Exodus 20:1, 2).

It was the sons of Israel who were brought out of Egypt. Therefore, it was to them that the Sabbath commandment was given.

<<< No one has yet proven that there was no law before Sinai. Typo-logically speaking, the children of Israel were delivered from the bondage of sin which is what their deliverance from Egyptian bondage represents. They were given nine other commandments that, along with the Sabbath commandment, represent the law that Adam and Eve transgressed when they ate from the forbidden tree in the Garden of Eden. It is the principles of this law written in the heart and mind that would have guaranteed the peace joy and happiness of the new race throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity had it not been transgressed. When they ate the forbidden fruit they sinned for sin is transgression of the law. >>>

The Sabbath was given only to the sons of Israel. However, the Israelites were commanded to impose Sabbath keeping on their servants, animals, and the Gentiles living under Israelite authority. Note that the Sabbath was not to be imposed on Gentiles who were not in Israelite dominated cities ("within thy gates"). So we see from the giving of the Ten Commandments and particularly from the Sabbath commandment itself that the Sabbath was only given to the sons of Israel.

<<< “Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed. Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people. The Lord GOD which gathereth the outcasts of Israel saith, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered unto him.” (Isaiah 56:1-8 KJV)

There is nothing here about the law being “imposed” on someone. Provision was made for anyone to join himself to the Lord and receive salvation. According to scripture, the Lord God says, “mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.”

It says “all” people, not just the children of Israel. >>>

In fact a later telling of the Ten Commandments notes that the Israelites were to observe the Sabbath because God had freed them from Egyptian bondage.

"You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day" (Deuteronomy 5:15).

<<< Since the Sabbath was commanded from the foundation of the world,

(see Exodus 20:11) we can know that Sabbath keeping was not a requirement for the children of Israel only. >>>

When the Bible in the Sabbath commandment says, "thou" or "you" we must remember that it is referring to the sons of Israel not to Christians. These verses that we are considering were written by Moses long before Christianity.

<<< Old Covenant believers were taught to look for the promised savior through their ceremonial ordinances. That savior was Jesus. They may not have been called Christians but they were His followers before the cross. The Old Covenant type was established when the children of Israel followed Him in the pillar of fire that gave them light at night and the cloud that shielded them from the heat of the desert sun by day as they were led through the wilderness. He was also manifest above the mercy seat in the Hebrew sanctuary as the Presence of God (Lev 16:2). >>>

These verses also make it clear that they refer only to the sons of Israel. In support of this interpretation else where we read that the 7th day Sabbath was a sign between God and Israel.

"Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:14-17).

Again, the Bible is clear that the Sabbath was a sign for the sons of Israel not for all people ("so the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath"). Now let's contrast this sign with a sign that is for all people.

<<< When we see “the children of Israel” we should think “God’s people in the Old Testament”. When we see the name “Christian” we should think, “God’s people in the New Testament”. “And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:29 KJV) >>>

8 Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying, 9 “Now behold, I Myself do establish My covenant with you, and with your descendants after you; 10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you; of all that comes out of the ark, even every beast of the earth. 11 I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth.” 12 God said, “This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; 13 I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth. 14 It shall come about, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow will be seen in the cloud, 15 and I will remember My covenant, which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and never again shall the water become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” 17 And God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant which I have established between Me and all flesh that is on the earth." (Genesis 9:8-17).

Note in v. 9 God establishes His covenant with Noah "and with your descendants after you", that is to say all people. In v. 12 we find that the sign of the covenant with Noah will be with "all successive generations" again that is all people. The sign is between God "and the earth" (v. 13). Once again God makes His intentions concerning who He is making this covenant with very clear. It is between God "and every living creature of all flesh" (v. 15).  In v. 16 we again read that the covenant is "between God and every living creature of all flesh". In the final verse it is made abundantly clear that the sign of this covenant is between God "and all flesh that is on the earth" (v. 17).

<<< God promises to never again destroy the earth with a flood. This covenant applies to all living creatures (man as well as animal) on the earth and requires nothing in return on the part of those who benefit from it. There is nothing redemptive in this covenant. Neither does It does distinguish between the righteous and the wicked (see Gen 8:21). >>>   

Next let's compare the above sign of the covenant made with Noah and the sign of the covenant made with the sons of Israel.

<<< The sign of the covenant God make with all living creatures of all flesh is the rainbow. There is nothing redemptive in the rainbow and there were no requirements to receive it.  The covenant made with Israel is a Messianic covenant. Obedience to the law of God was required for the people to continue in it. >>>

12 The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. 14 Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. 16 So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ 17 It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:12-17).

Moses is told to speak to the sons of Israel (v. 13). He tells them that God said to observe the sign "between Me (God) and you (sons of Israel) throughout your (sons of Israel) generations" (v. 13). In v. 14 Moses tell the sons of Israel "to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you" (sons of Israel). The consequence for a son of Israel who profanes the Sabbath is stated plainly to be death (see vs. 14 & 15). Note: No Gentile was ever threatened with death for profaning the Sabbath because it was commanded only of the sons of Israel. "So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath...throughout their generations" (v. 16). In the final verse God makes it abundantly clear that the sign of this covenant is between God "and the sons of Israel forever" (v.17).

<<< Once again it must be stated that the Sabbath commandment is from the foundation of the world (see Gen 2:2, 3; Ex 20:11). The children of Israel were required to keep it because it is a righteous requirement of the law, the same law that Adam and Eve transgressed in the Garden of Eden. We know Adam and Eve had the law because “. . . where no law is, there is no transgression.” (Romans 4:15 KJV) >>>

I believe that in this brief survey of the Sabbath as commandment and sign it is obvious that it was given only to the sons of Israel not to all people.

However, let's one last time look to the word of God in an unbiased fashion. Let's read parts of the 2 passages above and honestly determine which one contains a universal sign binding on all people and which one contains a sign binding on only one nation.

<<< The covenant made with Noah was not binding in the sense that nothing was required of those who benefited from it to receive it. This was not a Messianic covenant.>>>     

Option A: "God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all successive generations; I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth'" (Genesis 9:12-13).

Option B: "So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:16-17).

<<< Here are a few “facts” that were not discussed. First, the New Covenant is made with, “the house of Israel and the house of Judah. In other words, it is only binding on one “nation” same as the Old. It is the anti-type of the Old Covenant nation of Israel.

To the disobedient nation Jesus said,

“Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.” (Matthew 23:38 KJV)

Because the children of Israel failed to keep the covenant, it was taken from them and given to someone else.

“For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:” (Hebrews 8:8 KJV)

It was taken from them and given to “spiritual” Israel.

“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:” (1 Peter 2:9 KJV)

New Covenant Israel is all who are believing in Christ for salvation.

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:28-29 KJV)

In Christ’s love,

Frank >>>

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal