Seventh-Day Adventists/Mark 7:15-23

Question
Can you help shed some light on Mark 7:15-23 specifically verse 18 and 19 and especially the end of verse 19 as I read from the NKJV "thus purifying all foods."?

Answer
Darren,

I believe I've answered this before on the basis of the parallel passage found in Matthew 15:1-20.  Neither passage is about food.  Both are about washing hands before eating and whether NOT washing your hands makes you ceremonially unclean (defiled).  Christ refutes that by saying that it is not your dirty hands going into your mouth that defile you (i.e., cause you to need cleansing/forgiveness).  Instead, it is the unholy thoughts and desires that come out of your carnal heart as a result of your sinful nature that causes you to need a Saviour.

As for the notion that the English phrase "...is cast out into the draught" (Matthew 15:17) or "...goeth out into the draught, purging all meats" (Mark 7:19) can be (mis)translated in the NKJV as referring to purifying all foods (as desired by omnivorous, carnal Man) -- that is just ridiculous.  The "draught" refers to the commode (privy) and the feces which comes out of your bowels.  Mistranslating this purge as a purification process is a pipe-dream.

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.  And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."  (2Thes. 2:10-12)

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Sincerely,
Dave

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark