Seventh-Day Adventists/Seal

I heard several times Seventh Day Adventist doctrine is that the 7th day Sabbath & keeping it holy is God's Seal, but when I research the topic in my NKJV Bible (and other versions) scripture points out that the Holy Spirit is God's Seal. Can you help me understand this seeming conflict?

You say that "scripture" points out that the Holy Spirit is God's Seal yet you cite not a single passage of actual scripture.  I'd like to see Biblical proof that the Holy Spirit is God's seal.  That said, don't let a misunderstanding of the English of Ephesians 1:13 mislead you.  That verse is saying that God figuratively placed His stamp of approval upon the early Christians by sending them the promised Holy Spirit.  Compare other English translations and paraphrases to get a broader view of what a single verse is saying.  No, the Holy Spirit itself is not the seal of God.  Never let what people say have more meaning for you than what the original Bible actually says.

Nowhere in the original Bible does it say that the Holy Spirit is God's Seal.  What it does say is that by the Holy Spirit working in our lives we will be sealed until the last day (Ephesians 4:30).  And, unfortunately, SDA's in general do place too much emphasis upon only the 4th commandment as a sign for those that will receive the seal of God in their foreheads at the time of the end (Revelation 7:1-3).

However, part of your confusion comes from the fact that there are two different seals which are spoken of by Seventh-Day Adventists.  One is God's Seal which defines Who He is and the other is the Seal of God by which He identifies His people at the time of the end.  They are not both the same thing.

The Presidential Seal of the United States contains the president's name, his title, and his territory. You find God's Seal near the middle of the Ten Commandments -- to be more precise, near the middle of the Fourth Commandment (verse 11):

Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: (10) But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of YHWH thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates: (11) For [in] six days YHWH made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore YHWH blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

His Name: YHWH (or IAUA)
His Title: Maker (Creator)
His Territory: Heaven and earth, the sea, and all in them

No, we are not saved by keeping God's Law, but it is by desiring to keep God's (full) Law that God's People will be identified (Rev. 22:12-14).  So, if you want God's seal of approval, then desire to keep  (through the Power of Jesus Christ; Jude 1:24) *all* of His Commandments, Statutes, and Judgments in both spirit and in truth. Why *all*?

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole Torah, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

Why guilty of all?  Because God's (full) Law describes the difference between those who truly love and those who truly do not.  Thus, if you can't (or won't) uphold any part of God's (full) Law then you have demonstrated that you do NOT truly love.  Notice I did not say anything about *keeping* God's Law perfectly.  It is about what you desire (through Christ) and not about what you are able to do on your own.

May God richly bless you in direct proportion to your desire to know, and to do, the full truth even as it is in Yehsh' haMshyach, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, our Lord, and our Saviour.  Awmane!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Dave L Clark

I can answer most any question which is truly Bible-centric. I make this distinction because there is much which is considered biblical; but, which, is actually based only upon the traditions of men. However, I will also state this caveat: not all traditions are necessarily "bad" by definition. Otherwise, the subject about which I am passionate is The Law of God. There is much misconception in this area. In point of fact, I, myself, only woke up a bit over 10 years ago (2002) to what is truly meant by the Law of God and how that relates to Salvation. This, of course, is a touchy subject when you start mixing the Law of God with the subject of Salvation -- which, everyone should know, is a gift of God, by grace, through faith and not of works; lest any man should boast (Eph. 2:8,9). I am thankful that God the Holy Spirit has opened, and is opening, my eyes to these Truths.

I have taken Bible classes every year since the first grade through 4-year college level and study the Bible every week with others in Sabbath School. I have also continued studying the Bible, on my own, throughout my life -- particularly these last 10+ years. Therefore, I consider myself to have about 48+ years of both formal and informal Bible experience upon which to draw.

I am a current member in good and full standing with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. I am also a level-7 member of Yahoo!Answers in the Religion & Spirituality group. Lastly, though not a related discipline, I am also a member at because of my professional standing as a computer programmer of more than 35 years.

"The Truth About the Law of God" by Dave L Clark I is a 298-page book available at Some of my writings may also be found on the following websites: << >>; << >>; and, << >>.

I have 3 years of formal college and a 4-year college equivalence degree in Information Technology. Otherwise, I am not formally credentialed in Bible doctrine or theology. However, when did God ever say that He only speaks to or through theologian-type or highly-placed sources?