Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath

Question
QUESTION: I have to respond to this part of answer you gave dated 2-5-16.

"As you have correctly articulated, the Sabbath is not mentioned in Genesis at all. You also stated, "SDAS often say the sabbath was before the Law in Gen. 2:2-3." Correct again! They say a lot of things that are not true. Ask them to prove it from Scripture and they can't. They can only point to the text that says God rested on the seventh day."

There is absolute proof that the Sabbath of the 4th commandment is mentioned in Genesis, even in Genesis 2:2, 3.

Here is my question.
Are you interested in knowing where it is located in the Bible?

ANSWER: Dear Frank,

It's been a while!

I would love to know where the Sabbath is mentioned in Genesis based solely on Scripture.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Be blessed always!

QUESTION: "I would love to know where the Sabbath is mentioned in Genesis based solely on Scripture."

I am including your response because the Sabbath, though mentioned in Genesis, is not called the Sabbath in the book of Genesis. It is called the 7th day.
What I am saying is this. Even though seventh day is not called the Sabbath in Genesis, that is indeed, where it is first mentioned.

To answer your question, it is mentioned in Genesis 2:2, 3.

"And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.(Genesis 2:3 KJV)

It is scripture that tells us the seventh day is the Sabbath. It is found, not in Genesis, but in the book of Exodus.

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.(Exodus 20:11 KJV)

In conclusion, even though the seventh day isn't called the Sabbath day in Genesis, that is where it is first mentioned (Gen 2:2, 3). The proof is in the Sabbath (4th) commandment itself (Ex 20:11).

I have already heard most or all of the arguments that are used in response to what I have just written (the Sabbath is only for the Jews, the Sabbath wasn't instituted until Sinai, The Sabbath is a ceremonial law that ended at the cross, we don't keep the Old Covenant law because we are under grace, etc.) They are all based on an incorrect understanding of the law and an incorrect interpretation of scriptures concerning the law.

SDA's believe that the 10 C's represent the law that Adam and Eve transgressed when they ate the forbidden fruit in the garden.
"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." (1 John 3:4 KJV) If there was no law in the garden there could have been no sin.
SDA's believe the 10 C's represent the law that was written in A&E's hearts and minds when they were created (they were created in God's image (Gen 1:27)) and, had they not transgressed it, their obedience would have guaranteed the peace and joy of life in an unfallen world, forever.

Once transgressed, keeping the broken law had/has no redemptive power. Man is now under the power of sin and even though he may desire to do so, he cannot keep it (see Romans chapt. 7). He is in bondage to sin and condemned to die (Rom 6:23).

The answer, of course, is Christ (see Romans chapter 8). It is through faith in Christ and by the faith of Jesus that fallen man is made righteous and thus fit for God's kingdom.        

"What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?" (Romans 6:15-16 KJV)

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. Do we then make void the law (nomos) through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law (nomos). (Romans 3:28-31 KJV)

In Christ's love,
Frank

ANSWER: Frank,

You said:

"It is scripture that tells us the seventh day is the Sabbath. It is found, not in Genesis, but in the book of Exodus."

My response:

You are correct by saying that the Sabbath is NOT FOUND IN GENESIS but Exodus! Thank you for acknowledging that huge point.

It appears that after reading Exodus 20:8-11 and noticing that God referred to Himself as the Creator and that He rested on the seventh day, that the "logical" thing to do is to "assume" that "rest" means "Sabbath" in Genesis. So, as if God made a mistake, SDAs felt it was incumbent upon them to make the correction by inserting Sabbath in Genesis.  In addition, I am unable to find a cross-reference in my Bible's concordance linking Genesis 2:2-3 with Exodus 20:8-11 in relation to the Sabbath as a creation ordinance for all mankind. As I see it, Scripture has been added to in order "to fit" what SDAs believe.  

Just think about it! If Sabbath began at creation why weren't Adam and Eve extended an invitation or commanded to join God in His rest?  But then again, they had just been created and had nothing to rest from. Why is the Bible silent about the Sabbath until Exodus 16? Why is there no record or hint of the patriarchs keeping the Sabbath? Your argument is simply based on reading Exodus and going back and placing its content in Genesis.

I am aware from your post that you know some of the opposing views regarding this subject, so I will not rehearse them. The item I will address however is the following statements:

You said:

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." (1 John 3:4 KJV) If there was no law in the garden there could have been no sin."

My response:

What is important is what the Bible says and not what SDAs believe. According to the Bible, sin was in the world BEFORE the law was given, so that makes your statement incorrect. The law, which included the Ten Commandments, was given on Mt. Sinai after Israel was delivered from Egyptian bondage. However, sin in the Garden of Eden had nothing to do with the Ten Commandments but it had everything to do with disobedience to God's command to them not to eat of the tree in the midst of the Garden.

Romans 5:12-13 ESV
[12] Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned- [13] for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given , but sin is not counted where there is no law.

How could the Ten Commandments (TC) be effective in Eden AND written on the hearts of Adam and Eve at creation when the TC were the words of the covenant God made with Israel and Israel only? As I stated in an earlier post, SDAs believe a lot of things that are not based on Scripture.

Exodus 34:27-28 ESV
[27] And the LORD said to Moses, "Write these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel. " [28] So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

God is not trying to hide truth. If the Sabbath began at Creation, He would have said so and there would be a record of at least one person mentioning it. But there's total silence until Exodus 16, when it was introduced to Israel for the very first time. Also notice that God didn't remind them about how their forefathers kept it or didn't keep it. Why? Because it didn't exist.

Take care and continued blessings on you and yours!

QUESTION: Frank,

You said:

My response:

<<< I was very careful with my wording. I never said the Sabbath is not found in Genesis. It is found in Genesis 2:2, 3. The scripture that tells us the 7th day that God blessed and sanctified at creation (Gen 2:2, 3) is the Sabbath is Exodus 20:11. >>>

<<< “For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.”
(Exodus 20:11 KJV) There is no assumption being made here. The verse says the Lord rested the seventh day of creation week and He then calls it “the Sabbath day”. The seventh day and the Sabbath day are used interchangeably. There can be no mistake in saying the day God blessed and sanctified at creation is the Sabbath of the 4th commandment. >>>  

Just think about it! If Sabbath began at creation why weren't Adam and Eve extended an invitation or commanded to join God in His rest? But then again, they had just been created and had nothing to rest from.

<<< Why do you assume the Lord didn’t spend the first 7th day with Adam and Eve? You also have assumed He said nothing to them about the day he blessed and sanctified that scripture says was made for man (Mark 2:27). Since He gave them work (Gen 2:15) he must have explained that six days are for work and the seventh is the Sabbath. If they had not kept the Sabbath, the first sin of disobedience would have been profaning the Sabbath and not eating from a tree that was not given to them for food. Fallen man may be excused from being punished when they kept the wrong day in ignorance but Adam and Eve were created perfect.
They have no excuse for transgressing the law as their natures were not corrupted by sin.    
Creation week is about what God did. He didn’t create man until the sixth day and He didn’t bless and sanctify the 7th (Sabbath) day until it was ended. The first Sabbath day that Adam and Eve kept according to the creation account must be the second. The first one wasn’t blessed and sanctified until it ended. Even so it seems likely that God spent the first seventh day with His new Creation. I do not believe God would give man six days for work, bless and sanctify the seventh day as a day of rest for man (Mark 2:27) and then allow man to profane the Sabbath day by not telling them about it. Are you also assuming they did not “dress and keep” the garden for the first six days of the week? >>>

Why is the Bible silent about the Sabbath until Exodus 16? Why is there no record or hint of the patriarchs keeping the Sabbath? Your argument is simply based on reading Exodus and going back and placing its content in Genesis.

<<< Why is there no record of anyone taking the name of the Lord in vain? Are you saying none of the commandments were before Sinai or do you pick and choose as some do? The fact that Cain sinned (Gen 4:7) when He murdered Abel and Joseph refused to sin by committing adultery with Potiphar’s wife (Gen 39:9) is proof that the law existed before Sinai and people knew of it. >>>

You said:

My response:

What is important is what the Bible says and not what SDAs believe. According to the Bible, sin was in the world BEFORE the law was given, so that makes your statement incorrect.

<<< What is important is what the Bible says and not what the expert says she believes. I do not believe you have shown from scripture that SDA’s are wrong concerning the Law and the Sabbath. The scriptures that support our beliefs have been given. >>>  

The law, which included the Ten Commandments, was given on Mt. Sinai after Israel was delivered from Egyptian bondage. However, sin in the Garden of Eden had nothing to do with the Ten Commandments but it had everything to do with disobedience to God's command to them not to eat of the tree in the midst of the Garden.

<<< Sin was in the world before the written law was given to the nation of Israel. Long before there was a nation of Israel, there were those who kept the law while most of the world was lost in sin (Gen 6:5, 6). The covenant God made with Abraham was continued with Isaac, “Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.” (Genesis 26:5 KJV) Compare that with, “Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:”
(Nehemiah 9:13 KJV)
SDA’s believe that the law that defines sin and reveals righteousness is the Ten Commandments written in stone by God at Sinai. They believe it is the principles of that law that were written in the heart and mind of Adam and Eve as they were made in God’s image. The written law is given in the account of the Exodus. The New Covenant does not change the Ten Commandment law but it is God’s promise to write His Ten Commandment law in the mind and hearts of believers. (Heb 8:10) >>>

Romans 5:12-13 ESV
[12] Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned- [13] for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.

<<< Those verses do not say there was no law before Sinai. They do say that sin was in the world before Sinai but is not imputed because there was no written law. Just because sin isn’t imputed (KJV) does not mean the law didn’t already exist. Since all have sinned there must have been a law. How could A&E sin if there was no law? If they disobeyed a command of God then God should have commended Adam and Eve for their independent thinking if there was no law. Why did He not tell them how proud He was of them? Why did He kick them out of the garden and deprive them of the tree of life? How could disobedience be sin if there is no law to define sin?  The image of God in man was defaced by A&E’s sin and therefore all are born under sin.  >>>

How could the Ten Commandments (TC) be effective in Eden AND written on the hearts of Adam and Eve at creation when the TC were the words of the covenant God made with Israel and Israel only?

<<< The Old and New Covenants are made with Israel “only”. They are for all who believe in Christ for righteousness. It is time the argument that the covenant made at Sinai was with Israel only is put to rest. In reality, that covenant was taken from the nation of Israel because they did not keep it (Heb 8:9) and given to all who would believe in Christ for salvation. That nation is known as New Covenant Israel. “Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.”
(Matthew 21:43 KJV) Paul tells the Gentile believers, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.” (1 Peter 2:9-10 KJV) “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:” (Hebrews 8:10 KJV)>>>

As I stated in an earlier post, SDAs believe a lot of things that are not based on Scripture.

<<< The law written in stone at Sinai is the law that was written in the heart and mind of A&E when they were created or they could not have sinned. The law given to Israel is the Law of Moses as well as the Ten C's. It included all the laws for the new nation that are derived from the Ten C’s (Hebrews chapter 8) and the added ceremonial law of the Hebrew sanctuary (Heb 9:1). The forever and ever Ten C’s (Psalms 11:7, 8) exist independent of the Law of Moses. They were written in stone and kept in the Ark of the Covenant to distinguish them from the temporary Law of Moses written on paper and kept in the side of the ark. >>>

Exodus 34:27-28 ESV
[27] And the LORD said to Moses, "Write these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." [28] So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
God is not trying to hide truth. If the Sabbath began at Creation, He would have said so and there would be a record of at least one person mentioning it. But there's total silence until Exodus 16, when it was introduced to Israel for the very first time.

<<< Did I mention Exodus 20:11? You know, the verse that tells us that God says the Sabbath is from creation. >>>   

Also notice that God didn't remind them about how their forefathers kept it or didn't keep it. Why? Because it didn't exist.

<<< There was no nation of Israel before the Exodus. The Patriarchs (the forefathers) were not a nation before Sinai. Therefore, saying the Sabbath was given to the Patriarchs or their forefathers for the very first time after being led from Egypt is proof that the Sabbath isn’t from creation, is meaningless. There was no nation of Israel before the Exodus to whom God could give a national law.  
Concerning your statement that there is total silence before the Exodus concerning the Sabbath where it is introduced for the first time, scripture says “Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?” (Exodus 16:26-28 KJV). God chose Israel to be an example for the nations of the blessings He would bestow on the nations that keep His commandments and His laws. Before Sinai, the scriptures were not concerned with defining the law that was from creation. That law was revealed at Sinai. What is important is that disobedience is sin and sin is transgression of the law.   
Since we have proven the Sabbath is from creation (Ex 20:11) there can be no truth in saying it wasn’t given until Sinai.
SDA’s believe that the law written in stone at Sinai is the same law God wrote in the mind and heart of Adam and Eve when they were created. They believe that God’s people will come out of Babylon when they see that they have been deceived concerning the law of God, especially the 4th commandment. “And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.”
(Revelation 18:4 KJV)

In Christ’s love,
Frank

Answer
Thank you for your responses Frank.

It's obvious to me that you are a die-hard SDA and nothing that I share from Scripture will cause you to re-think your position. I am not prepared to spend time going back and forth knowing that you will continue to tell me what SDAs believe. I know what they believe. I was one for over fifty years.

I can but choose not to comment on the last comments you made when you responded to my last post. You have been well indoctrinated with what SDAs believe and only the Holy Spirit will be successful in allowing you to see truth. I am not copping out. I just believe that it will be a never ending conversation going absolutely no where because you are true to your position and I am true to mine. Even when you use Scripture to defend your position, you place a different meaning to it, thus taking it out of context. Proof texting is very popular with SDAs.

As a former SDA looking back, I have come to believe that the reason the Sabbath is so important to SDAs is because the SDA church does not teach the truth about the New Covenant and herein lies the problem. Why is understanding it important?  Because EVEN IF the Sabbath of the Old Covenant was applicable to all people, it was still a shadow and when the Substance came, the shadow disappeared making the Sabbath, not eating certain foods, etc. obsolete for believers. Look at how many times Jesus said that He came to fulfill what the Old Testament prophets wrote. Don't forget that the Old was simply pointing to the New and everything in the Tabernacle, law and sacrificial system pointed to Christ Who was to fulfill it. As I was taught in the SDA church, on the cross Type met anti type. BUT, the SDA church decided the entire law was not nailed to the cross after all. They confined what was nailed to be only the sacrifices and offerings classifying them as so-called "ceremonial laws". The entire Law and the Prophets were fulfilled by Jesus - not just those ceremonial in nature. The law is not divided into categories. Man did that!

When I was an SDA I honestly never properly understood the New Covenant because they teach that it is just an extension of the Old but with better promises. Once I understood the New Covenant (NC), the veil was lifted and I requested to be dropped from the SDA church membership and I articulated my reasons for leaving in writing.  Understanding the NC allowed me to see that the SDA church has taken what belonged to Israel exclusively for themselves. They believe they have replaced Israel. According to Ellen White, the duty of the SDA church (aka modern Israel) is to succeed in perfect obedience to the law where ancient Israel failed.

The following question regarding the New Covenant was submitted to Ellen White's Estate website by an SDA Adult Sabbath School teacher:    http://ellenwhite.org/content/file/old-covenant-versus-new-covenant#document

"You folks have always been very prompt in answering my questions. The reason I ask so many is that I am one of the teachers of adult Sabbath school at my church. Last week, my teaching was challenged by a couple of people, so I thought I'd check with you to verify that what I was telling them was correct.

If I understand Mrs. White's writings correctly, there's no difference between the old and new covenants except that the new covenant is based on better promises because they're God's, not man's. The ten commandments are the TERMS of the covenant. When Moses read the commandments to the people, they said "all these things we will do," but they couldn't because they were trying to keep the commandments in their own strength. With the new covenant, God promises to help us keep them, thus doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. The old covenant was ratified by the blood of bulls and goats, whereas the new covenant is ratified by Jesus' blood."

Following is Pastor Fagal's response:

"I don't feel especially qualified to answer your question , but the way you have expressed it is pretty much the way I understand it, too. The new covenant is called the "everlasting covenant" in Hebrews 13:20, showing that it embraces the salvation that God offered from the beginning of sin. People in Old Testament times, even while offering their sacrifices, could have a "new covenant" experience, with the law written on their hearts."

God bless!

--------
William Fagal, Director
Ellen G. White Estate Branch Office
Andrews University
Berrien Springs, MI 49104-1400 USA

Fagal could not give her a conclusive answerl Also note that Fagal was the pastor of an SDA church in New York with a Doctor of Divinity degree from Andrews University. He was also founder of Faith for Today, a TV broadcasting program that aired when I was a child and he couldn't explain the New Covenant!

This is why SDAs are so confused. They don't understand the Gospel!

First of all, they are depending on their leaders to provide truth for them, which makes the leaders happy. As a result, they are mixing the Old Covenant with the New Covenant and when Ellen White is added to the mix it keeps them in bondage. By that I mean bondage to trying to keep the Ten Commandments perfectly so that they can be sinless without a mediator during the Time of Trouble. It's sad. Imperfect people cannot keep a perfect law, which is why the law should point unbelievers to Christ when they realize they can't keep it. The purpose in coming to Christ is to accept His obedience for them by faith - NOT for Him to help them keep the law . God is offering so much more and the price has already been paid through His perfect obedience and His death, burial and resurrection.

I am challenging you to prayerfully study the New Covenant. What is it? How is it different from the Old? Who are the parties involved in the New versus the Old? What is the sign of the NC? What is the sign of the Old? What is its condition - faith or obedience to the Ten? Instead of proof checking what SDAs believe from the Old Testament, please study the New Testament in context along with the Old. Both are necessary as you will discover how perfectly the New fulfills the Old. As you study, please keep before you the fact that the NC didn't begin in Matthew at Jesus' birth but at His death and resurrection. Jesus was born a Jew and subject to the law, so He lived under the Old Covenant.

I will close by prayerfully adking that you will engage in this study without the filters of the SDA beliefs and Ellen White. It will be hard. I have been out since 2008 and I am still deprogramming but I have victory in Jesus and I am happy in Him FINALLY! I no longer live in fear of my imperfect performance because Jesus performed perfectly for me. I no longer fear being afraid and embarrassed before the Great White Throne because as a believer, I am not under condemnation. I no longer fear Jesus coming to my name in an Investigative Judgment knowing that I still have imperfections and would be lost. I no longer fear death because now I know I have a soul that returns to God upon death and He will bring it back with Him to reunite me with my immortal body when He returns. I no longer have to worry about keeping the edges of the Sabbath because the Sabbath for believers is a Person and we are invited to rest in Him Today! I could go on, but suffice it to say, the Truth has set me free from trying to perform and work my way into His approval and grace.

In closing, your only definition for sin seems to be that it is a transgression of the law but there is more than one definition for sin in the Bible. For instance, Romans 14:23 says.....

[23] And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Notice the text is not just addressing food but WHATSOEVER. Anything we do that is not faith based such as trying to keep a special day in order to receive God's approval, seal and salvation is sin. We don't work for what God has already done "for us" and freely given to us WHEN we accept it by faith. Believers are the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV
[21] For he hath made him to be sin for us , who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Frank, that's Good News!!!

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen