Seventh-Day Adventists/Sabbath in Genesis

Dear Pat:

SDAS often say the sabbath was before the Law in Gen. 2:2-3. If so why doesn't it say sabbath in Genesis at all? Are they grasping at straws with the word rest? What if rest meant sabbath in Genesis? Would that mean that we Christians must observe the sabbath even though Jesus and the Apostles never commanded it of the Church?
Thank you,

Sabbath for salvation
Sabbath for salvation  
Dear Steve,

Thank you for your question.

As you have correctly articulated, the Sabbath is not mentioned in Genesis at all. You also stated, "SDAS often say the sabbath was before the Law in Gen. 2:2-3." Correct again! They say a lot of things that are not true. Ask them to prove it from Scripture and they can't. They can only point to the text that says God rested on the seventh day..

SDAs ignore what the Bible teaches and choose to believe their deceased false prophet namely Ellen G. White. According to her.....

"The Sabbath was instituted at creation itself and has never been changed. She revealed that observing the seventh-day (Saturday) Sabbath is “the seal of God” and the identifying mark of God’s true followers. In the last generation before Jesus returns, all who are ready for salvation will be keeping the seventh-day Sabbath holy. God’s true people keep all his commandments—including the fourth, which requires us to honor the seventh day. Just as Jesus kept the Sabbath, so must we."

First of all, according to the Bible, believers are led by the Spirit not the law.

Galatians 5:18 ESV
[18] But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Secondly, the sabbath was not introduced until AFTER the Exodus from Egypt which is found in Exodus 16.

In addition, the Sabbath was given to Israel only. Israel was set aside as God's chosen people and they were the only ones given His laws. They were to be a light to the Gentile nations.

There is no record of Adam nor the patriarchs keeping a sabbath prior to the Exodus. After the flood, God gave Noah some laws for the people but He gave Noah nothing about keeping a non-existent sabbath command from Creation.

The Holy Spirit is the seal, not the Sabbath.

Ephesians 1:13-14 NKJV
[13] In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,</n> [14] who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

So, to answer your question, "What if rest meant sabbath in Genesis? Would that mean that we Christians must observe the sabbath even though Jesus and the Apostles never commanded it of the Church?

The answer is, "NO!" Because the sabbath was a shadow of what was to come. When Jesus, the Substance, came and fulfilled it, the shadow disappeared and became defunct.

<b>Colossians 2:16-17 NKJV

[16] So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, [17] which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ .

Everything in the Old Testament (tabernacle, rituals, sacrifices and even the law) pointed to Jesus. When Jesus came and fulfilled the Old Covenant via His perfect obedience "for us" and through His death, burial and resurrection, He became the High Priest from the Tribe of Judah with a New Covenant. With a new Priest came a change in the law.

Hebrews 7:12 ESV
[12] For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

Jesus Himself is now our Sabbath rest. We are to rest in Him every day or Today!

Matthew 11:28 ESV
[28] Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Bottom line, Seventh-day Adventists are trying to obey the law perfectly to attain perfection BEFORE Christ returns. They are arrogant enough to believe that Jesus is delaying His coming because of their unreadiness. His perfect life and sacrifice for them are not accepted. They continue to preach Old Covenant law, not to point people to Christ and Christ alone for salvation BUT to enslave people to work at keeping the law telling them that by doing so they are showing their love for God. They misuse the verse found in John 14:15 ESV

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

They teach that commandments in this verse is referring to the Ten Commandments but it's not. John explains what commandments he is speaking of in 1John 3:23-24 ESV...

[23] And this is his commandment , that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. [24] Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us.

The above is a prime example of how they take Scripture out of context to fit their sabbath keeping theology.

Romans 8:14 NKJV
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

I hope this answer has been somewhat helpful.

Someone posted the following picture on Facebook!  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Patricia Allen

As a former Seventh-day Adventist (SDA), I have insight of value to those who are questioning and/or trying to decide if they should leave or become an SDA. It would be my privilege to discuss SDA church doctrine, structure, Ellen White, the old and new covenants, and their various beliefs. The Bible will be my main source of reference and all quotes, etc. will be documented. I understand that there are different variants of Adventists, but I am only familiar with what I would call traditional or main stream.

I was a Seventh-day Adventist for over 50 years. I attended their schools and I was always active in the churches I attended. I also worked for the denomination for 37 years. Since I was educated in their schools from Grade 1, and because what I was taught came from the Bible, I never questioned my beliefs. I considered myself as one whom the Lord had chosen to bring out of darkness into His marvelous light. In the year 2005, I became keenly aware that Ellen White contradicted the Scriptures numerous times and plagiarized some of her most popular writings. At this point, I had to seriously consider studying for myself with the aid of the Holy Spirit to see if indeed I really had the truth. Sad to say, I discovered that I was deluded and deliberately deceived by the church I loved and served. In 2010, I requested that my name be withdrawn from the membership roster of the church. Since then, it has been my passion to tell those in the SDA church and those considering joining Adventism, the truth and freedom that I have discovered and enjoy daily. I interact on Facebook with SDAs frequently regarding their beliefs and doctrines compared to the Bible. In addition to answering questions on this site, I have a blog ( and the purpose of my articles is to expose the false doctrines of the SDA church After 50 plus years of trying to 'work' my way, I have discovered the sweet rest in the finished work of my Savior. I've also discovered that there is nothing that I have ever done to make Jesus love me less and there is nothing that I can ever do to make Jesus love me more. Jesus just loves me and this I know!

M.A.O.M. degree (Master of Arts in Organizational Management). I also have a B.A.I.C. degree (Born Again in Christ). My calling is to help spread the Good News of the Gospel and to help lift the veil by sharing Jesus, Who is the Truth and the Light.