Seventh-Day Adventists/Abomination of Desolation

Question
Hi, Tom!

In the last days, the Book of Daniel, and Christ, warns of an abomination of desolation. Christ says in Matthew chapter 24 that those in Judea must "flee into the wilderness" when they see the abomination of Desolation.

Some people believe this means God's followers must flee into a special place God has prepared out in the wilderness, were God will protect his followers during the tribulation.

They use this verse for further proof:
"The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days." (Revelation 12:6)

I have two questions.

(1.) What is the abomination of desolation?

(2.) Is it true God's followers must flee into the wilderness? And if it's not true, what is the meaning of Revelation 12:6 and Christ's warning to flee?

Thanks for your time!
-Marsha

Answer
Abomination of Desolation

To better understand Christ’s teaching about the AOD, we must first see how that term was used in the Old Covenant.  While there are over a hundred mentions of this term, we will focus on its eschatological use.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_of_desolation

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/353-abomination-of-desolation

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/what-is-the-abomination-of-desolation

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01046a.htm

http://www.compellingtruth.org/abomination-of-desolation.html

The SDA’s have badly misunderstood Daniel’s context and meaning of the AOD, which is preventing them from developing credible, contemporary, Gospel eschatology.  They need to first repent for their strange and impossible views of Dan 8: 14.  They need to understand and follow how Jesus and the Jews viewed this passage.

http://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/book/e/51/t/the-abomination-of-desolat

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2012/10/investigative-jud

The Torah makes it clear that foreign god’s were considered an “abomination” by God, and so too their worship centers and rituals.  But the Jews loved false religion, for which God punished them many times.  As a result, in 70 AD, Old Covenant Judaism, including the Priesthood and the Temple, were destroyed, and the Jewish Nation ceased to exist.

Deut. 32:16 “They made Him jealous with strange gods;
  With abominations they provoked Him to anger.

2Kings 23:13 The high places which were before Jerusalem, which were on the right of the mount of destruction which Solomon the king of Israel had built for Ashtoreth the abomination of the Sidonians, and for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Milcom the abomination of the sons of Ammon, the king defiled.

2Chr. 36:14 Furthermore, all the officials of the priests and the people were very unfaithful following all the abominations of the nations; and they defiled the house of the LORD which He had sanctified in Jerusalem.

Ezek. 5:11 ‘So as I live,’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘surely, because you have defiled My sanctuary with all your detestable idols and with all your abominations, therefore I will also withdraw, and My eye will have no pity and I will not spare.

Ezek. 6:11  “Thus says the Lord GOD, ‘Clap your hand, stamp your foot and say, “Alas, because of all the evil abominations of the house of Israel, which will fall by sword, famine and plague!

Ezek. 5:9 ‘And because of all your abominations, I will do among you what I have not done, and the like of which I will never do again.

Ezek. 5:10 ‘Therefore, fathers will eat their sons among you, and sons will eat their fathers; for I will execute judgments on you and scatter all your remnant to every wind.

It is clear that Israel’s apostasy of following false gods was an “abomination” To God.  Thus God vowed to punish them through her enemies, making the Jews desolate because of their sins.

Ezek. 5:12 ‘One third of you will die by plague or be consumed by famine among you, one third will fall by the sword around you, and one third I will scatter to every wind, and I will unsheathe a sword behind them.

Ezek. 6:6 “In all your dwellings, cities will become waste and the high places will be desolate, that your altars may become waste and desolate, your idols may be broken and brought to an end, your incense altars may be cut down, and your works may be blotted out.

Ezek. 15:8 ‘Thus I will make the land desolate, because they have acted unfaithfully,’” declares the Lord GOD.

Jewish history clearly shows that the abomination of desolation is associated with God’s punishment of Israel - delivered by a foreign power.   Because Israel refused to repent and destroy their idols, it was prophesied that others would desolate them, and in the process, stop the daily sacrifice, turning the captured Jewish Temple into an “abomination” of false ritual and gentile teaching.

Dan. 9:26 “Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined.

Dan. 9:27 “And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate.”

The Maccabean Period

As Jewish history unfolds, we see a detailed prophecy in Daniel being fulfilled in 167 BC.  It was a time when Antiochus Epiphanes, a gentile king, ruled over the Jews, forcing them to repudiate Judaism under penalty of death.

“The noncanonical but historical book of 1 Maccabees describes the actions of Antiochus Epiphanes: “The king then issued a proclamation to his whole kingdom that all were to become a single people, each nation renouncing its particular customs. All the gentiles conformed to the king's decree, and many Israelites chose to accept his religion, sacrificing to idols and profaning the Sabbath.”

“The king also sent edicts by messenger to Jerusalem and the towns of Judah, directing them to adopt customs foreign to the country, banning burnt offerings, sacrifices and libations from the sanctuary, profaning Sabbaths and feasts, defiling the sanctuary and everything holy, building altars, shrines and temples for idols, … so that they should forget the Law and revoke all observance of it. Anyone not obeying the king's command was to be put to death” ( Mac 1:41, 44-50, New Jerusalem Bible).

“Punishment was swift and brutal. Women who had had their sons circumcised were killed and their babies hung around their necks (verses 60-61). Anyone continuing in faithful obedience to God was executed (verses 62-64).”  Not content merely to stop the sacrifices, Antiochus desecrated the temple. “… A bearded image of the pagan deity [Jupiter Olympus] … [was] set up upon the Temple altar. The Jews popularly spoke of this as 'the abomination of desolation.' Greek soldiers and their paramours performed licentious heathen rites in the very Temple courts. Swine were sacrificed on the altar” (Charles Pfeiffer, Between the Testaments, 1974, p. 81).

“Daniel (in Daniel 8:14) hears that these desecrations will continue for “two thousand three hundred days” or 2,300 “evenings and mornings” (New International Version, New Revised Standard Version, Revised English Bible and other translations). The temple service included a morning and evening sacrifice. Twenty-three hundred morning and evening sacrifices amounted to 1,150 days.”

“Antiochus Epiphanes desecrated the temple and halted sacrifices in 167 B.C.  Judas Maccabeus resumed the sacrifices in 164 after cleansing and rededicating the temple. Many Jews commemorate these events with the Feast of Hanukkah.”

“Daniel 8 is a detailed prophecy of the first “abomination of desolation” affecting the temple sacrifices for 1,150 days. Antiochus's actions partially fulfilled this prophecy.”

http://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/just-what-is-the-abomination-of-desolation

The “small horn” in Daniel = King Antiochus:

Dan. 8:9  Out of one of them came forth a rather small horn which grew exceedingly great toward the south, toward the east, and toward the Beautiful Land.

Dan. 8:10 It grew up to the host of heaven and caused some of the host and some of the stars to fall to the earth, and it trampled them down.

Dan. 8:11 It even magnified itself to be equal with the Commander of the host; and it removed the regular sacrifice from Him, and the place of His sanctuary was thrown down.

Dan. 8:12 And on account of transgression the host will be given over to the horn along with the regular sacrifice; and it will fling truth to the ground and perform its will and prosper.

Dan. 8:13 Then I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one said to that particular one who was speaking, “How long will the vision about the regular sacrifice apply, while the transgression causes horror, so as to allow both the holy place and the host to be trampled?”

Dan. 8:14 He said to me, “For 2,300 evenings and mornings; then the holy place will be properly restored.”

See also:

Dan. 11:31 “Forces from him will arise, desecrate the sanctuary fortress, and do away with the regular sacrifice. And they will set up the abomination of desolation.

Dan 8:14 = The Hanukkah Story

Most SDA’s are shocked to discover that Dan 8:14 is primarily about the Hanukkah Story and the desecration of the Jewish Temple in 165 BC. This is what the Jews teach and what Jesus also believed and supported.  Daniel is not writing about a celestial "cleansing" of the “heavenly sanctuary,” much less one that started in 1844.  No writer in either the Old or New Testament, nor any denomination in the past or present, supports the SDA view of Dan 8: 14.  

Let all SDA’s understand, Daniel 8:14 is about how the Maccabees defeated King Antiochus, who had desecrated the Jewish Temple and made it unclean.  After recapturing Jerusalem, the Jews had to “cleanse” and purify the Temple.   All SDA's need to understand Hanukkah, so they can better understand the book of Daniel and stop making fools of themselves.

Honest SDA scholars admit that the Jewish use of the word “cleansed” in the KJV translation of Dan 8: 14 was a specific and historical reference to the Maccabean period.  It had zero to do with their 1844 error about an “Investigative Judgment.”  

Listen to Dr. Cottrell:

In Dan 8: 14, “the Septuagint has the word 'cleansed,' ... and they put the word 'cleansed' in because they thought it applied to Antiochus Epiphanes.  So the (Seventh‑day) Adventist doctrine of the Investigative Judgment, the interpretation of 'cleansed,' is based on an ancient translation made by Jewish people into Greek believing that Antiochus Epiphanes had fulfilled the prophecy. So if we take the word 'cleansed' there, we really ought to say that it applied to Antiochus Epiphanes.

Listen again as Dr. Cottrell tells his personal story about how he came to understand that Dr. Desmond Ford was correct to repudiate the IJ and claim it false. This history belongs to the Jews, and it is their view of Dan 8:14 that exposes the IJ as utter fiction and false doctrine.

Dr. Cottrell said:

"My first great shocker about the ‘IJ, Daniel 8:14 and 1844’ was when I read a Hallmark Hanukkah Card in a store that explained the entire story about how the FIRST Hanukkah, and how it lasted for 8 days because that's how long the oil lasted that they'd found in the Temple, once they had "cleansed" the Sanctuary" and set it back up for proper worship.”

“The Jews had even carried OUT every single stone that had been used in the alter because they couldn't take a chance of having a stone in the alter of God that would have such a history of holding up a pig at one time! The Hallmark Card Company had gone to great lengths to tell this story correctly, and they did it!"

"And there I was reading the story WELL OVER 2000 years later that fit a part of the puzzle that at one time had me greatly perplexed. You don't need to go to what "the Christians" think Daniel 8:14 is talking about, but just go to the JEWS who it was written for and ask THEM what the meaning was all about and you'll see that it had nothing to do with 1844, but everything to do with 165 B.C. instead!"

“The Adventists were TWO THOUSAND YEARS AND 9 YEARS OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE! Can you imagine basing a doctrine on a prophecy that was two thousand years off?”
“Once you can see how far off they were about WHEN it was to take place, you then can see how they were "off" about everything else! Daniel 8:14 is talking about an event that took place in 165 B.C. and not 1844.”

Dr. Raymond Cottrell

http://www.truthorfables.com/Cottrell_IJ_Recollection.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Cottrell

The SDA Pioneers, while honest and sincere, were not theological scholars or experts in anything. Consequently, they misunderstood the meaning of Dan 8: 14, teaching that it points to a pre-Advent “Investigative Judgment” of the saints, that started in 1844, way out in deep space.  However, this is not what this passage is about and it is time for all Adventists to disavow what is so outdated, impossible, and wrong.  

Daniel’s prophecy is about the Hanukkah story, (Festival of Lights), which history is embraced by all Jews, as well as Christ when on earth, and the Jews to this very day.  All SDA's need to understand Hanukkah, then they can better understand the book of Daniel and go forward to understand 21st century eschatology.  At this point, their eschatology is confused and worthless.  They are in the dark, unprepared for the great Tribulation, which they do not understand.

http://scheinerman.net/judaism/chanukah/history.html

http://www.beingjewish.com/yomtov/chanukah/history.html

http://www.jewsforjesus.org/judaica/hanukkah

http://www.bereansonline.org/outlines/hanukkah.htm

New Testament Abomination of Desolation

Jesus, like all Jews, knew and understood that Dan 8:14 was about the capture of the Jewish Temple, which was desecrated by their Gentile enemies in 165 BC.  It was a time when many Jews were killed and Judaism was almost exterminated.  Jesus predicts that this horrific history will be repeated on a larger scale in 70 AD and then again at the end of the world.

Matt. 24:15  “Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),

Mark 13:14  “But when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

Luke 19:41  When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it,

Luke 19:42 saying, “If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes.

Luke 19:43 “For the days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a barricade against you, and surround you and hem you in on every side,

Luke 19:44 and they will level you to the ground and your children within you, and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not recognize the time of your visitation.”

Here is the second Abomination of Desolation in 70 AD.  The first was by the Greeks in 165 BC.

Although Caesar and the Romans had treated the Jews well, even allowing them special privileges, like exemption from military service because of their Sabbath and food laws.  By the 1st century, the Jews refused to be civil, much less kind as admonished by Christ.  They needlessly goaded and enraged the Romans, for which they paid a horrible price.

Luke 6:27  “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Luke 6:29 “Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either.

Luke 6:30 “Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back.

Luke 6:31 “Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.

The Jews purposefully provoked the Romans into a war Rome did not want, and one the Jews could never win.  As a result, the Jews not only lost their Temple, but their Nation as well, starting the long period that Jesus referred to as the “time of the Gentiles.”

Luke 21:23-24 …there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

As Jesus warned about the end of Old Covenant Judaism, he used the familiar Hanukkah Story from Daniel to make the point that doom was once again foretold upon Jerusalem and even the world.  His warnings resulted in the safe evacuation of all Christians from Jerusalem.  None were killed in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Luke 21:20  “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near.

Luke 21:21 “Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city;

Luke 21:22 because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled.

Just as the abomination of desolation by king Antiochus involved capturing Jerusalem and defiling the temple, so would the fulfillment of Christ's prophecy involve similar events.  While Antichous outlawed the practice Judaism, under penalty of death, he was defeated in a short, three year period of time and the Temple services restored.  However, the Temple desolation that Christ predicted would last centuries, as Old Covenant Judaism ceased to exist in 70 AD.   The Jews would not have a Nation again until 1947.

“The first-century Jewish historian Josephus describes the siege of Jerusalem as one of the most bloody in history. Famine and diseases wracked the weakened populace. He also describes false prophets who, rather than commanding repentance, told the people God would deliver them. Josephus records strange events, including people seeing visions of soldiers and chariots in the clouds.  On the Feast of Pentecost the temple shook and the priests “heard the sound as of a great multitude, saying, 'Let us remove hence' ” ( Wars of the Jews, Book VI, Chapter V, Section 3).

“In 70 AD Vespasian's supporters called him back to Rome to become emperor. Titus finished the final siege of Jerusalem, then erected an idol on the devastated temple altar. Josephus claims 1.1 million Jews were killed and 97,000 enslaved in the war and siege.” (Wars, VI, ix, 3).”

“What of the followers of Jesus? Did they heed His warning to flee Jerusalem? Church historian Eusebius, writing in 324, records this bit of tradition: ” … The members of the Jerusalem church, by means of an oracle given by revelation to acceptable persons there, were ordered to leave the City before the war began and settle in a town in Perea called Pella. To Pella those who believed in Christ migrated from Jerusalem …” (The History of the Church, 1965, p. 111).

The second fulfillment of the abomination of desolation ended with the destruction of the temple at the hands of the Romans. The temple was destroyed and the priesthood and sacrifices abolished, ushering in a situation that continues to this day.  

The Future Abomination of Desolation

Today, we can look back in history and see both the first and second AOD.  However, a third and future AOD must also be taken into account, one that would require people to “flee” the cities and head for the mountains.  What could it be?  This is the great challenge for the last church- to correctly understand 21st century Gospel eschatology.

Listen to Jesus apply the second AOD of 70 AD, to the end of the world in v 19 and 20:

Mark 13:15 “The one who is on the housetop must not go down, or go in to get anything out of his house;

Mark 13:16 and the one who is in the field must not turn back to get his coat.

Mark 13:17 “But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!

Mark 13:18 “But pray that it may not happen in the winter.

Mark 13:19 “For those days will be a time of tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of the creation which God created until now, and never will.

Mark 13:20 “Unless the Lord had shortened those days, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom He chose, He shortened the days.

While the SDA’s are way off in their understanding of the first AOD, actually denying how the Jews and Jesus understood the book of Daniel, they do correctly teach that the destruction of Jerusalem is a “type” of what will take place during the great Tribulation at the end of time.  

In fact, this point is made clear in the first chapter of the Great Controversy, the Destruction of Jerusalem.

“The Saviour's prophecy concerning the visitation of judgments upon Jerusalem is to have another fulfillment, of which that terrible desolation was but a faint shadow. In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law.”

http://www.whiteestate.org/books/gc/gc1.html

However, the Adventists are very wrong to claim that a National Sunday Law is the sign to escape the final AOD.  Here is Ellen White on this point:

"As the Sabbath has become the special point of controversy throughout Christendom, and religious and secular authorities have combined to enforce the observance of the Sunday, the persistent refusal of a small minority to yield to the popular demand will make them objects of universal execration. It will be urged that the few who stand in opposition to an institution of the church and a law of the state ought not to be tolerated; that it is better for them to suffer than for whole nations to be thrown into confusion and lawlessness."

"The same argument eighteen hundred years ago was brought against Christ by the "rulers of the people." "It is expedient for us," said the wily Caiaphas, "that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not." John 11:50. This argument will appear conclusive; and a decree will finally be issued against those who hallow the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, denouncing them as deserving of the severest punishment and giving the people liberty, after a certain time, to put them to death."

"As the decree issued by the various rulers of Christendom against commandment keepers shall withdraw the protection of government and abandon them to those who desire their destruction, the people of God will flee from the cities and villages and associate together in companies, dwelling in the most desolate and solitary places. Many will find refuge in the strongholds of the mountains."  Great Controversy, p 615, 627.

SDA’s Claim Sunday worship final AOD.

"As the approach of the Roman armies was a sign to the disciples of the impending destruction of Jerusalem, so may this apostasy be a sign to us that the limit of God's forbearance is reached, that the measure of our nation's iniquity is full, and that the angel of mercy is about to take her flight, never to return."

"A crisis is soon to come in regard to the observance of Sunday. . . .

"The Sunday party is strengthening itself in its false claims, and this will mean oppression to those who determine to keep the Sabbath of the Lord. . . .

"If in the providence of God we can secure places away from the cities, the Lord would have us do this. There are troublous times before us. ...
"I see the necessity of the people of God moving out of the cities into retired country [places], where they may cultivate the land and raise their own produce. Thus they may bring their children up with simple, healthful habits. I see the necessity of making haste to get all things ready for the crisis."11

"It is no time now for God's people to be fixing their affections or laying up their treasure in the world. The time is not far distant, when, like the early disciples, we shall be forced to seek a refuge in desolate and solitary places. As the siege of Jerusalem by the Roman armies was the signal for flight to the Judean Christians, so the assumption of power on the part of our nation in the decree enforcing the papal sabbath will be a warning to us.

It will then be time to leave the large cities, preparatory to leaving the smaller ones for re tired homes in secluded places among the mountains. And now, instead of seeking expensive dwellings here, we should be preparing to move to a better country, even a heavenly. Instead of spending our means in self-gratification, we should be studying to economize." 12

https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1974/01/sunday-laws-and-leaving-the-cities

The Adventists, like the Jews, are obsessed with the Sabbath and the Law.  Thus they say:  All nations and tongues and peoples will be commanded to worship this spurious sabbath. . . . The decree enforcing the worship of this day is to go forth to all the world.--7BC 976 (1897). {LDE 134.5} As America, the land of religious liberty, shall unite with the papacy in forcing the conscience and compelling men to honor the false sabbath, the people of every country on the globe will be led to follow her example. -6T 18 (1900). {LDE 135.1}

The Sabbath question is to be the issue in the great final conflict in which all the world will act a part.--6T 352 (1900). {LDE 135.2} Foreign nations will follow the example of the United States. Though she leads out, yet the same crisis will come upon our people in all parts of the world.--6T 395 (1900). {LDE 135.3}

The substitution of the false for the true is the last act in the drama. When this substitution becomes universal God will reveal Himself. When the laws of men are exalted above the laws of God, when the powers of this earth try to force men to keep the first day of the week, know that the time has come for God to work.--7BC 980 (1901). {LDE 135.4}

The substitution of the laws of men for the law of God, the exaltation, by merely human authority, of Sunday in place of the Bible Sabbath, is the last act in the drama. When this substitution becomes universal God will reveal Himself. He will arise in His majesty to shake terribly the earth.--7T 141 (1902). {LDE 135.5}

Future AOD

Jesus teaches a great and final tribulation for the world, one that he clearly associated with the first and second “abomination of Desolations.”  Moreover, the NT teaches that the sign for this final desolation is “peace and safety,” not Sunday laws. THIS is the Gospel sign to escape the final destruction of the world. Not Sunday Laws!  Listen to Paul:

1Th. 5:2 For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night.

1Th. 5:3 While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape.

Jesus makes it clear that not only will the final AOD be a surprise to the world; there will be no major persecution to warn anyone of what is to come.  Noah preached freely and without any hindrance or persecution all the way up until the end.

Matt. 24:37 “For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah.

Unfortunately, not only are the SDA’s wrong about how to understand the first AOD in Daniel, (it is not the IJ); they are also confused about the meaning of the third and final application.  The prophetic fall of Babylon in Revelation, like the original history, is about war.  Babylon represents civil government, which is to be attacked by its enemies, just like the first two “abomination of desolations.”  Thus the final tribulation is brought about by a surprise and devastating attack, not by religious persecution from Roman Catholics, as the confused SDA’s teach.

Rev. 18:2 And he cried out with a mighty voice, saying, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great! She has become a dwelling place of demons and a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird.

Rev. 18:6 “Pay her back even as she has paid, and give back to her double according to her deeds; in the cup which she has mixed, mix twice as much for her.

Rev. 18:7 “To the degree that she glorified herself and lived sensuously, to the same degree give her torment and mourning; for she says in her heart, ‘I SIT as A QUEEN AND I AM NOT A WIDOW, and will never see mourning.’

Rev. 18:8 “For this reason in one day her plagues will come, pestilence and mourning and famine, and she will be burned up with fire; for the Lord God who judges her is strong.

Rev. 18:9  “And the kings of the earth, who committed acts of immorality and lived sensuously with her, will weep and lament over her when they see the smoke of her burning,

Rev. 18:10  standing at a distance because of the fear of her torment, saying, ‘Woe, woe, the great city, Babylon, the strong city! For in one hour your judgment has come.’

While the Adventist correctly point to Rev 18 as a description of the end of the world, they fail to understand that there is no hint that Sunday laws start the Tribulation.  Nor is such a doctrine taught by Christ or the apostles.  It is time for the Adventists to wake out of their sleep and focus on serious Gospel Eschatology.

Mark 13:33  “Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come.

In conclusion, the last church, including the SDA’s, are blind and deaf to correct Gospel eschatology.  While the SDA’s claim they know how the world will end, it turns out that they don’t even understand the first “abomination of desolation” in Daniel, much less what Christ teaches about the future tribulation.  

Not only are the Adventists very wrong about Dan 8: 14, they persecute those, like Dr. Ford, that have tried to correct their errors.  Unless the SDA’s repent of their many false assumptions and errors, including what they teach about Dan 8: 14, they will be unable to comprehend the final Gospel events.

I hope this answer helps those that are trying to stay alert for the final Tribulation and the Second Coming to follow.

Mark 13:28  “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near.

Mark 13:29 “Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the door.

Mark 4:23 “If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.”

Tom Norris for All Experts.Com & Adventist Reform  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Tom Norris