Seventh-Day Adventists/Luke 23:43

Frank wrote at 2016-05-06 02:00:54
The expert's answer:

Thank you for the question. My understanding of Luke 23:43 is that our Lord is promising the good thief that because of his faith he would be with Jesus in Paradise that very day.  "And He said to him, 'Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.'" (NASB). As you correctly pointed out punctuation was added at some later date. Does this mean that one can put punctuation wherever one wants? No, there are Greek grammar rules to follow and those who are experts in this area have placed the comma (or colon) as it appears in most Bibles today. I surveyed 33 versions of the Bible and found that 29 of them had the comma (or colon) before "today" in the verse. The other 4 versions offered no punctuation. That is evidence for my position and against yours.

<<< It is evidence that the whole world is being deceived. >>>

The phrase, "Truly I say to you" is used by Jesus 70 times in the New Testament. Excluding for the moment Luke 23:43, in the other 69 times he never uses "today" as part of the phrase. It is always, "Truly I say to you" followed by the truth Jesus wishes to teach. Your belief that the comma needs to be placed after the word "today" I believe is driven by your theological bias. I ask you to consider why such a vast number of Greek language scholars and Bible translators disagree with your position? Could it be because you are wrong and they are right? It's not a case of the majority rules so your position must be wrong. I don't see it that way at all. However, since you are in the minority it is up to you to prove the majority wrong. Therefore, please give me your reasons for disagreeing with the vast number of Greek language experts, Bible translators, and Christians who disagree with you. Please know that I will sincerely consider your arguments.

<<< According to the expert, Greek grammar rules say there can be no comma after today. Since there is no other verse where Jesus uses "today" to compare it with, we are left without an argument, . . . or are we? Compare the syntax of the verse in question, "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43 KJV) with this statement made by Jesus in response to Peter, "Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice." (Matthew 26:34 KJV)

Here is irrefutable evidence that, since "this night" and "today" are grammatically the same, and since "this night" is followed by a comma, the expert's claim that Greek grammar rules don't allow for a comma to follow "today" is nothing but nonsense.

Of course there is other evidence that suggests Jesus wasn't in paradise with the repentant thief on that Friday (preparation day).  

1. The thief wasn't dead at sunset. "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away."

(John 19:31 KJV)

2. On resurrection morning, Jesus told Mary he had not yet been to His Father "Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. (John 20:17 KJV)

Scripture also tells us that God is in paradise ". . . To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." (Rev 2:7 KJV)

22:1, 2). We can only conclude that Jesus was not with the repentant thief in paradise on that Friday. >>>  

Seventh-Day Adventists

Sal