Seventh-Day Adventists/7th Day Sabbath

Dear Sal:

I don't understand why you are so against Sabbath keeping? Can you explain this?

Dear Sister Tammie:

I am not against anyone keeping the 7th day Sabbath. I defend the sabbatarian's right to worship on the 7th day as I also defend the right of the Christian to observe the 1st day or whatever day one chooses. I believe that Christians should meet together for worship as often as possible.

“And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved” (Acts 2:46-47 ESV; cf. 5:42).

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,  not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:24-25 ESV).

I am strongly against imposing any particular day of worship on God’s people. Since the New Testament doesn’t impose any particular day on Christians I don’t support the imposition of any particular day either.

Ellen G. White said that membership in God’s family would be determined by Sabbath keeping. “I saw that the Holy Sabbath is, and will be, the separating wall between the true Israel of God and unbelievers” (Early Writings, p. 33). The Bible says salvation is by grace not by works.

“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV).

According to Ellen White the Sabbath is a necessary requirement for membership in God’s family. Adding anything to having faith for salvation should be unacceptable to Christians.

“For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law” (Romans 3:28 NASB).

“I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly” (Galatians 2:21 NASB).

The 7th day Sabbath was the remembrance sign of the Old Covenant.

“So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed” (Exodus 31:16-17 NASB).

The Bible is clear that the remembrance sign of the New Covenant is the Lord’s Supper.

“For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, ‘This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.’ In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me’” (1 Corinthians 11:23-25 NASB).

So I don’t consider myself to be against Sabbath keeping. I support your right to worship on the 7th day Sabbath. I just ask that you support my right to worship on another day. I have no problem with Christians observing the 7th day Sabbath. However, if you say that I must observe the 7th day Sabbath then we will have a more detailed discussion.

Thanks for the question,
Brother Sal

Seventh-Day Adventists

I am privileged to be able to offer an alternative insight into the complicated world of Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) theology. I will rely heavily on the Bible, but will also consider history and use logic in exposing deficiencies in SDA teachings. I would ask anyone who is considering becoming a SDA or if you are already in the SDA church, but are searching for the truth, to please allow me to offer a different explanation for the claims of the SDA. Remember : "The truth will set you free" (John 8:32). I can answer your questions pertaining to the beliefs and history of the SDA. I am not able to answer questions concerning spirituality or church discipline.

I have extensively studied the theology of the Seventh-Day Adventists (SDA) for a number of years. I have many books and tape sets produced by experts in this field of study. I have debated current members of the SDA church. I have a great desire to help these people see the truth.

M.S. degree in Food, Nutrition, and Dietetics