Sewing/Cutting Mats

Question

I want to start sewing sheet sets for my son/daughter. I am having issues with the measuring/cutting. The fabric is never square after washing. So I am looking at buying a rotary cutting mat.

I am just wondering how I would handle the fact that the dimensions of the fabric once cut will be larger than the cutting mat? Do you cut it to size roughly, then fold it to square it off on the mat?

Thanks,

David

Answer
David,

Most likely you will never get sheeting fabric square, it could change with every wash.  When folding in half your fabric will change again, it really depends on the quality of sheeting your buying.
But you could cut a approximate size and then square it up to create a square piece of fabric, it might not be straight

You might consider a larger cutting mat of help with the situation, here is a link to larger rotary cutting mat http://shop.homefashionsu.com/Rotary-Cutting-Mega-Mat-s/1827.htm  

I know I'm not much help, but not sure if your want your fabric squared or a square cut fabric.  I'm glad to help with other questions,

Claudia
www.homefashionsu.com

Sewing

Claudia Buchanan