Sewing/Hand will not locking

Question
I have a Singer Slant O Matic 500. I loosened the hand wheel to load a bobbin and that all went well. Then when I tried to turn the hand wheel in opposite directions to tighten it up again it would not tighten.

Answer
Hi Debby...What happened was the inside washer was place on wrong when it was last replaced...There is a small wheel with a screw in the middle of the big hand wheel...you will have to loosen the screw and remove the small wheel...next you will see a washer with 2 small guides on the inside...as you remove the washer notice the guides and the shaft has guides cut out for the washer to go in.
there is 4 ways to place the washer on the shaft and only one way works properly. Also notice the washer is beveled out on one side...the round or mound side should face out and when you screw the small wheel back on there should be at least a 1/4 inch space so you can loosen the screw next time.

If I miscommunication the direction of the washer just flip it over and try that way...as I said before there is only one way it will work right...

I hope you can get back to sewing quickly if I made it clear enough...be patient and keep it simple is the best policy...

Norman

Sewing

Norman Roy