Sewing/double fitted

Q1: I have a fitted queen sheet and have a double bed, its too big for the bed. Please tell me how you would make this queen fitted sheet into a double fitted sheet??

Q2: What size flat sheet do I need to make a double fitted sheet??

Q3: Do you cut out a 12" square in each corner, then sew together, add elastic?? This is what I have heard.

Thank you M.

1. Measure your double mattress, width, length, height and allow 2" to tuck under the mattress.  Take the queen sheet apart (hem and corners)  and cut to new measurements.  The corner cut will be the height of the mattress plus the tuck in allowance the goes under the mattress.  

Sew corners, hem with small hem and add elastic on corners our around the entire hem.

2.  It depends on your mattress measurements and the size of the flat sheet.

3. Refer to answer 1.

Hope this helps,

Claudia Buchanan

I can answer most all questions about sewing and fabricating home decor projects. I can not answer questions about clothing,kniting,crafts,etc.

Yes, I have owned a professional interior design workroom for 15 years. We specialize in window treatments, bedding, slipcovers, pillows,etc. I also teach hands-on sewing and business classes in my studio.

Window Coverings Association of America, American Sewing Guild, Workroom Association of America, Slipcover Network, Drapery Pro

Press Release in local news paper, Threads Magazine in fall 2012

Owner of Home Fashions U and we teach Home Decor sewing classes and I have owned a professional drapery workroom for over 15 years. We specialized in slipcovers, bedding, draperies and window coverings. I'm also a trainer for the Slipcover Summit which is held annually. Attended workshops and training class at trade events.

Slipcover Fabrication awards from the Custom Home Furnishing Conference in Greenville,SC

We have a online sewing supply store for home sewers and decorators. I sew retail and wholesale for the Interior Desing Trade.