Sewing/Placemats size

Question
Hello
I would like to make placemats and have the Finished Size 19" across(width)and 14" long(length).
Q1: To do seam allowance do I add a half an inch on each side for the width and for the length??
Q2:Would I cut out 21" x 16" piece of fabric.???
Q3: What would you suggest to put in between for the layer??
I would sew right sides tog. then turn right side out.
Thank you B.

Answer
Thanks for writing I hope I can help.

There are many ways to make placemats. I will stick to your questions below.

Yes 1/2" seam allowance is easier thatn 5/8 or 3/4"

Your cut piece would be 20 across by 15" long

We like to use interlining for draperies in between the layers. You could also use a flannel cloth fabric. Stitch to the wrong side of the top of the placemat fabric.

Q4:I would sew right sides tog. then turn right side out?
Yes, then you would stitch the right sides together but leave and opening to do this.
I like to cover a micro cord with contrast fabric and stitch that onto the edge of the placemat prior to stitching right side together. This gives the edges a nice finish and the back fabric does not roll to the front.

Sewing

Karen Erickson