Sewing/Singer 403 Special

Question
I have my mother's Singer Slant-O-Matic 403 Special. We've been moving around the country and I haven't used it in 17 years. I asked at a repair shop and they said they would charge $129 to oil and grease it. I have all the original disks, book and attachments, etc., but am wondering if it is worth cleaning. Or should I just get a new machine? I also have a Singer Featherweight from the 1960's that I use all the time but would like the 403 because it zig zags. Any advice?

Answer
Hi Janice; You can really clean the machine yourself...these are one of the best machines Singer made in my opinion...they can sew through almost anything and will last your lifetime...just oil all the moving parts and use WD-40 lubricant if anything is seized and let it stand for awhile and it will loosen...Don't pay someone $129 for what you can do in 10 or 15 minutes...

the Featherweight is also very good...by the way there is nothing to grease on the 403...

Happy sewing...

Norman  

Sewing

Norman Roy