Sewing/cording fabric

Question
Hello
I am interested in making my own piping. My question is:
  How much fabric do I need to put around the cording (size 1/2") and have a lip to sew within the seam allowance? What size stripes do I make for the cord to make into piping?  Thank you M.

Answer
Hope I can help with this.

1/2" cord is pretty big.I usually wrap the fabric around the cord I am going to be using and pin it in place.  This way I can determine the amount of fabric I need for the seam allowance. Depending on the fabric can determine the wrap using more fabric or less.  For certain you want to be able to hold the fabric easily when stitching the welt cord.

To make your own self welt, you will need to cut continuous bias

Here is a link to a quick way to make continuous bias
http://youtu.be/dTWbRPv9HZo part I
http://youtu.be/sRmMEsto6ks part II

always
Karen Erickson
www.HFUSewingOnline.com
homefashionu@gmail.com

Sewing

Karen Erickson