Sewing/flat sheet

I have a standard double flat sheet  81"x 96".  The depth of mattress is 6".
What size would I cut out my square for each corner?? Would it be 14".
Measuring for a Fitted Sheet:
1. Measure the length of the mattress (L).
2.Measure the width of the mattress (W).
3.Measure the depth of the mattress (D).
4.Amount of fabric for tuck in + hems = 8" (20 cms) (T).
5.Length of fabric = L + (2 x D) + (2 x T).
6.Width of fabric = W + (2 x D) + (2 x T).

Making a Fitted Sheet:
1. Cut the fabric to the required size.
2.From each corner measure D + T and mark.
3.Measure the same distance at right angles to these marks to form a square and mark.
4.Cut out the squares leaving 0.5" (12 mm) seam allowance.
5. With the right sides together, pin and stitch the cut edges together.
6.Neaten the edges of these seams by overlocking or zig zag stitch.
7.With the wrong side facing, turn up a double 0.5" (12 mm) hem all round the sheet and pin.
8.Measure 8" (20 cms) along each side from each corner and mark.
9.Stitch the hem leaving a 1" (2.5 cms) gap at each of these marks.
10. Thread the elastic in through one gap, around the corner and out
11.Pull the elastic taut to gather the corner.
12.Stitch the gaps in the hem securing the ends of the elastic in the stitches.
13.Trim off the excess elastic.
Thank you B.

Thank You B

Are you doing this for a client or for yourself?

If it is for yourself then simple lay the fabric over the mattress to come up with the measurement you need. It can be that simple and there is no need to do all this planning to not have it correct.

I know personally I like to fit my fabric to my projects when ever possible.

Karen Erickson

Karen Erickson

All about home decor sewing, with many tips and trick on how to make a finished project look like a professional was hired to sew them. Specialize in "home decor" sewing. From how to measure, to how to cut and sew. Slipcovers, deocrative pillows, bedding, table accessories, drapery toppers, top treatments and more... Please do not ask me questions about clothing or trouble shooting sewing machines. I appreciate if you ask about home decor sewing.

Started sewing at the young age of 10 years. In 1986 opened up my own Designer Sewing Workroom, in 1998 started teaching workshops and classes to others in my Industry. In 1998 established Slipcover America Inc, produced 3 DVDs and 3 CDS. I have traveled to the American Sewing Guild Conferences and various Sewing Expos in both the US and Canada, as a speaker, teaching and instructor. Also was on staff at the CHF Drapery School in North Carolina as the Slipcover Instructor. Continue to speak at special engagements at Fabric and Sewing stores throughout the country. In 2006 established Sonoran Sewing, in 2008 with an associate Claudia Buchanan in Arizona where we do specialized in "home decor" sewing workshops and retreats throughout the year.

Slipcover Network Drapery Pro Workroom Association of America Window Coverings Association of America American Sewing Guild

Sew What Magazine (trade) Window Coverings Magazine (trade) Sew News Magazine Drapery and Window Coverings Mary Engelbreit Home Companion Magazine St Louis Home and Garden

College degree in Photo Journalism, Chaffey Community College in Cucamong, CA. Years of continual education through conference and workshops dealing with the sewing industry.