Sewing/Size of fabric

I am interested in making my own piping. My question is:
  How much fabric do I need to put around the cording (size 1/2") and have a lip to sew within the seam allowance? What size stripes do I make for the cord to make into piping?  Thank you M.

It really depends on the type of welt cording you are using.  Easy way to measure for the with of fabric needed is to lay the cord on a piece of fabric 1/2" from the edge then wrap the fabric over, while fitting it closely to the welt cord and mark line where it meets the bottom 1/2" seam allowance.  
Remove the cording and measure the fabric width needed to cover the welt cord. There is no real rule, it depends on how experienced the sewer is.  I suggest larger seam allowances for beginner sewers, because it's easier to sew a wider seam allowance.

Hope this helps,

Claudia Buchanan

I can answer most all questions about sewing and fabricating home decor projects. I can not answer questions about clothing,kniting,crafts,etc.

Yes, I have owned a professional interior design workroom for 15 years. We specialize in window treatments, bedding, slipcovers, pillows,etc. I also teach hands-on sewing and business classes in my studio.

Window Coverings Association of America, American Sewing Guild, Workroom Association of America, Slipcover Network, Drapery Pro

Press Release in local news paper, Threads Magazine in fall 2012

Owner of Home Fashions U and we teach Home Decor sewing classes and I have owned a professional drapery workroom for over 15 years. We specialized in slipcovers, bedding, draperies and window coverings. I'm also a trainer for the Slipcover Summit which is held annually. Attended workshops and training class at trade events.

Slipcover Fabrication awards from the Custom Home Furnishing Conference in Greenville,SC

We have a online sewing supply store for home sewers and decorators. I sew retail and wholesale for the Interior Desing Trade.