Sewing/thermal curtains

Question
Hello!  I've got a basement with egress windows, cement block walls, and ceramic tile floors. Needless to say, it's frightfully cold in the winter and our temps drop below zero in the winter.  I want to hang long, heavy drapes over the egress windows in an effort to block some cold, but the thermal ones online are pretty expensive and I'd need 6 panels. Could I buy heavier panels and sew some kind of liner to help block the cold?  If so, what type of panels and/or fabric do you suggest for the backing? Do you have any other fabric suggestions for helping block the cold?

Thank you!

Answer
Yes  it would be cheaper to sew it but are you able to sew thick fabrics with your machine?  That's the big question.
You need a special needle and ask at your local fabric store. You actually could still use a regular drapery fabric of your
Choice but add thermosuede lining.  I know this has a rubber like backing so test it out on your machine first.
Sew on the fabric side of the lining as the rubbery side should be inside. Usually it hangs separately so you would have
2 separate hems.  Of course you need pinch pleats and rings. As it may be too thick for a rod pocket top.

If you consider the time, cost and skills needed to make  insulated drapes...you still may be better off buying it on
Line.   Try a website called.  Halfpricedrapes.com.   And see if there are heavier liners on there drapes.
Another thing to keep in mind...is heavier drapes require stronger rods.  And an experienced installer too.
You have to be sure you are drilling into the studs of the walls...don't use those thick sinkers or mollies  into dry wall.
Do it the right way so you don't damage the walls

Sewing

Donna Webster