Sewing/Timing on a Singer 9020

The timing seems to be off on a Singer 9020.  The thread with catching the hook on and off.  More off than on.  I have read the timing information, and I know what I'm looking at there, but my problem is with the needle plate.  When the needle plate is off, the thread catches on the hook and works correctly, but when I put the needle plate back on, the thread will not catch the hook at all.  I have adjusted the needle shaft 100 times, and can not for the life of me get the thread to catch the hook with the needle plate on.  Presser foot is down, so the tension is engaged, needle eye is facing forward.  Any help?

It may be that the needle plate needs some sanding...go to your local hardware and buy #400 gray sandpaper and polish the needle may have slivers which cause the thread to miss the hook. try that before anything else...and change the needle also...

Norman Roy

Depending on the mechanical knowledge off owner, I can answer just about any question they ask. One lady asked about her feed dogs not going back up, some machines will not go back up unless you turn the wheel over, (start sewing). It sounds simple but sometimes you never think of it.

I've been servicing sewing machines since 1989, I still service machines for Northwestern Ontario Canada. It is a large area with little or no service people and I can usually tell on the phone if it can be fixed by the owner.

I took a 2 year apprentice course with a dealer who was looking to teach and hire. I worked for him for 8 years before moving up to the Northwest, Red Lake area of Ontario.