Sewing/Timing on a Singer 9020

Question
The timing seems to be off on a Singer 9020.  The thread with catching the hook on and off.  More off than on.  I have read the timing information, and I know what I'm looking at there, but my problem is with the needle plate.  When the needle plate is off, the thread catches on the hook and works correctly, but when I put the needle plate back on, the thread will not catch the hook at all.  I have adjusted the needle shaft 100 times, and can not for the life of me get the thread to catch the hook with the needle plate on.  Presser foot is down, so the tension is engaged, needle eye is facing forward.  Any help?

Answer
It may be that the needle plate needs some sanding...go to your local hardware and buy #400 gray sandpaper and polish the needle plate...it may have slivers which cause the thread to miss the hook. try that before anything else...and change the needle also...

Norm

Sewing

Norman Roy