Sewing/width and length

I need help, I get very mixed up which way to cut my fabric. If I need to cut fabric 18"x44" but the fabric is wider and longer than I need. I have cut my fabric but end up having it to short, so how do you turn your fabric around to cut the width and not make the length to short? Thank you Bea.

1. How wide if the fabric?
2. If your fabric is 48" wide I suggest your unfold the fabric and lay it out flat, then measure from the selvage edge across the fabric, over the fold line to a 44 inch measurement. Continue marking the width the entire length of the fabric.  Now trim the excess off, so you have a 44" wide piece of fabric.
3. Now measure from the original cut edge (where the fabric was cut off the bolt)18" continue to measure in 18" segments and cut the fabric on this line.  

When I get to my office I will draw the directions on paper.  Please let me know if this is cotton quilting fabric or Home Decor fabric.

QUESTION: Its just regular cotton fabric. My problem is which way to turn your fabric to cut the extra width off without cutting the length and making that to short.

Fold you fabric in half so the selvages match.  Then you will have 24", that will be the width.

I just sent the instructions below to another person.  
  Is you fabric 48" wide or 54" wide?

I'm going to assume it is 48" cotton or flannel.
1. Your seam allowance is 1.2" on the sides
2. You should allow a 4" hem + 1/2" turn under at the edge
3. 32" long pillow + 1/2" seam at bottom + 4 1/2" at top = Cut 37" long
4  Cut with 21" wide + 1/2" seam allowance on each side = Cut 22" wide

If you are trimming the pillow around the opening 42" + over lap for trim + buy 45"
If you are sewing a band the band would have a 1/2" seam allowance, you would cut it the same width of the pillow.

Claudia Buchanan

I can answer most all questions about sewing and fabricating home decor projects. I can not answer questions about clothing,kniting,crafts,etc.

Yes, I have owned a professional interior design workroom for 15 years. We specialize in window treatments, bedding, slipcovers, pillows,etc. I also teach hands-on sewing and business classes in my studio.

Window Coverings Association of America, American Sewing Guild, Workroom Association of America, Slipcover Network, Drapery Pro

Press Release in local news paper, Threads Magazine in fall 2012

Owner of Home Fashions U and we teach Home Decor sewing classes and I have owned a professional drapery workroom for over 15 years. We specialized in slipcovers, bedding, draperies and window coverings. I'm also a trainer for the Slipcover Summit which is held annually. Attended workshops and training class at trade events.

Slipcover Fabrication awards from the Custom Home Furnishing Conference in Greenville,SC

We have a online sewing supply store for home sewers and decorators. I sew retail and wholesale for the Interior Desing Trade.