Sewing/convert king comforter to queen duvet

QUESTION: I dont sew (or well, at least). mil letting me use her sewing machine. found reversable comforter that i love, but only in king size. (great deal with matching pillows).
i wanted to open up the bottom of the comforter, pull out the stuffing to make a reversable duvet cover.
How to alter width of the king (108x96) to Queen size (96x96)?
suggestion? helpful hints??

ANSWER: Good morning

I'd like to help but don't have a clue what this looks like, edging etc?

Your sewing experience?

What you want it to look like when you are finished.

Send photos to

I might be able to help with more information.

Thanks so much

QUESTION: I took pictures of the comforter(pic), cotton cover and poly inside. There are random stiches to keep the comforter from moving. (pic) It has edging on 3 sides (not the side up by your face). I can lose the edging, I dont care about that.
The face side looks like it was machine sewn to approx. 1-2 inches from end, turned under and hand sewn.

I took a sewing class in H.S (30yrs ago). I hand "mend" (pic of sewing a pillow closed, due to broken zipper) and know how to make a pillow (inside out, sew 3 sides, sew/button/etc last side. But haven't sewn in about that long.
I have been searching the web for directions/ suggestions ,etc. I found a lot of directions on how to make a duvet with sheets, etc..(A big pillow) My MIL is lending me her sewing machine.

What I want is the finished product have 2 finished sides (seams attached/sewn inside/turned in and sewn so that finished side looks good, top(not touched) and bottom (where the duvet goes in).

What I don't know is how much to cut (on each side/one side) of the King comforter, once it is empty and inside out, or how to stich to corners, what stich should I use?
How big should I leave the opening at the bottom(sewn from edge to mid-ish; eg; 96" wide, 40" opening? stich 28"toward the middle?). Then add snaps at opening? How far apart.  
What do I do with the stiches holding the current fluff together? Just fill up the holes with a straight line stich?

Good morning

Sorry I have been teaching classes, pretty tired at the end of the day.

There is no pic attached on my end.

I would like to help you with this very much.

Would you send me an email at, and then I can give you our phone number to talk on the phone.

It will be easiest.

Let me know what time zone you are in and location so we can set up an appointment.

Karen Erickson

Karen Erickson

All about home decor sewing, with many tips and trick on how to make a finished project look like a professional was hired to sew them. Specialize in "home decor" sewing. From how to measure, to how to cut and sew. Slipcovers, deocrative pillows, bedding, table accessories, drapery toppers, top treatments and more... Please do not ask me questions about clothing or trouble shooting sewing machines. I appreciate if you ask about home decor sewing.

Started sewing at the young age of 10 years. In 1986 opened up my own Designer Sewing Workroom, in 1998 started teaching workshops and classes to others in my Industry. In 1998 established Slipcover America Inc, produced 3 DVDs and 3 CDS. I have traveled to the American Sewing Guild Conferences and various Sewing Expos in both the US and Canada, as a speaker, teaching and instructor. Also was on staff at the CHF Drapery School in North Carolina as the Slipcover Instructor. Continue to speak at special engagements at Fabric and Sewing stores throughout the country. In 2006 established Sonoran Sewing, in 2008 with an associate Claudia Buchanan in Arizona where we do specialized in "home decor" sewing workshops and retreats throughout the year.

Slipcover Network Drapery Pro Workroom Association of America Window Coverings Association of America American Sewing Guild

Sew What Magazine (trade) Window Coverings Magazine (trade) Sew News Magazine Drapery and Window Coverings Mary Engelbreit Home Companion Magazine St Louis Home and Garden

College degree in Photo Journalism, Chaffey Community College in Cucamong, CA. Years of continual education through conference and workshops dealing with the sewing industry.