Sewing/timing

Question
I recently replaced the gears in my singer 247 sewing machine and timed the needle and the hook. Now my machine is skipping stitches like crazy and getting thread bound up under the bobbin holder. I was wondering if there is an adjustment that I missed or am I going to have to pay $100 for a service for a $35 machine.

Answer
there are 2 lines on the needle bar about a 1/4 inch apart. When you time the 247 you must lower the needle bar and raise it until you see both lines and bring the bottom line up to meet the bottom where the needle bar goes up into the holder mechanism, NOW THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE SHOULD  BE JUST BELOW THE HOOK, make sure the needle is in the middle of the plate, not to left or right.
If the needle is too high or low make proper adjustment.

I hope this is understandable, it seems you understand how to time it just not the specs, this should help you get sewing again.

Norman

Sewing

Norman Roy