Sewing/Contrast

Question
Hello
I want to make a pillowcase with a contrast band. Finished size to be 21"x 32" with a 1/4" seam.
Please tell me
Q1: What size do I need to cut out for the body? band?
Q2: How much fabric to buy for the body? and band?
Thank you B

Answer
Bren,
It's time to get your calculator out.  Until I know how you are going to fabricate you pillow case I can not tell you how much fabric to buy.

If your finished size is 32" and you are going to add a 4" double folded band, then subtract the 4"+4"+ 1/2"=8.5 inches from the 32" finished size I suggest in your last answer.

Pillow cases do not need to be exact because the fabric will shrink for the first few washings.

Buy 29" for the body 8 1/2" for the band

Previous Answer:

Is you fabric 48" wide or 54" wide?

I'm going to assume it is 48" cotton or flannel.
1. Your seam allowance is 1.2" on the sides
2. You should allow a 4" hem + 1/2" turn under at the edge
3. 32" long pillow + 1/2" seam at bottom + 4 1/2" at top = Cut 37" long
4  Cut with 21" wide + 1/2" seam allowance on each side = Cut 22" wide

If you are trimming the pillow around the opening 42" + over lap for trim + buy 45"
If you are sewing a band the band would have a 1/2" seam allowance, you would cut it the same width of the pillow.

Sewing

Claudia Buchanan