Sewing/follow up question on Singer 401A

Thanks for taking the time to answer my first question, but I am still not sure what to spray - I guess with penetrating oil?  The stitch knobs move freely and the "collar" that slides up and down the metal post does so easily. Is it the metal cam stack that needs attention?  Are all of the parts that make up the  stack xsuppose to move independently? I am not too sure how to get the cam stack clean.   Do you recommend a certain product to for de-gunking?  Thanks again for your help.

Sorry I forgot to mention the penetration's been a very busy week for me...-40 temperatures...pipes freezing and acting up among other issues that come up when the temp drops too mind was on too many things...WD-40 is the best for this particular job...when you move the stitch knob observe what it's doing and spray that mechanism...soak it down good...keep playing with it until it moves with the cams...the cams themselves only turn around in a circle...

take your's the simple things that usually get you back on track.

Norman Roy

Depending on the mechanical knowledge off owner, I can answer just about any question they ask. One lady asked about her feed dogs not going back up, some machines will not go back up unless you turn the wheel over, (start sewing). It sounds simple but sometimes you never think of it.

I've been servicing sewing machines since 1989, I still service machines for Northwestern Ontario Canada. It is a large area with little or no service people and I can usually tell on the phone if it can be fixed by the owner.

I took a 2 year apprentice course with a dealer who was looking to teach and hire. I worked for him for 8 years before moving up to the Northwest, Red Lake area of Ontario.