Sewing/follow up question on Singer 401A

Question
Thanks for taking the time to answer my first question, but I am still not sure what to spray - I guess with penetrating oil?  The stitch knobs move freely and the "collar" that slides up and down the metal post does so easily. Is it the metal cam stack that needs attention?  Are all of the parts that make up the  stack xsuppose to move independently? I am not too sure how to get the cam stack clean.   Do you recommend a certain product to for de-gunking?  Thanks again for your help.

Answer
Sorry I forgot to mention the penetration oil...it's been a very busy week for me...-40 temperatures...pipes freezing and breaking...car acting up among other issues that come up when the temp drops too quickly...my mind was on too many things...WD-40 is the best for this particular job...when you move the stitch knob observe what it's doing and spray that mechanism...soak it down good...keep playing with it until it moves with the cams...the cams themselves only turn around in a circle...

take your time...be patient...it's the simple things that usually get you back on track.

Norman

Sewing

Norman Roy