Sewing/Singer 401A won't zigzag

Question
Hi. I bought a Singer 401A yesterday. It was dry as a bone. I lubed the gears, cleaned and oiled it and it sews great now and it's a lot more quiet however, I can't get it to zigzag. At first the knobs that control the stitch patterns wouldn't move but now they do because I oiled them repeatedly and kept moving them. What can I do to get my machine to zigzag? It will not go out of straight stitch. Thanks. Carla

Answer
There might be a spring missing...there should be a spring on the front of the machine towards the nose plate top end or you could say the left side of the machine as it faces you...this spring is hooked unto the needle bar which brings the needle bar back to the right. that's the only thing I can think of without seeing the machine itself...

Norm

Sewing

Norman Roy