Sewing/Singer 401A won't zigzag

Hi. I bought a Singer 401A yesterday. It was dry as a bone. I lubed the gears, cleaned and oiled it and it sews great now and it's a lot more quiet however, I can't get it to zigzag. At first the knobs that control the stitch patterns wouldn't move but now they do because I oiled them repeatedly and kept moving them. What can I do to get my machine to zigzag? It will not go out of straight stitch. Thanks. Carla

There might be a spring missing...there should be a spring on the front of the machine towards the nose plate top end or you could say the left side of the machine as it faces you...this spring is hooked unto the needle bar which brings the needle bar back to the right. that's the only thing I can think of without seeing the machine itself...

Norman Roy

Depending on the mechanical knowledge off owner, I can answer just about any question they ask. One lady asked about her feed dogs not going back up, some machines will not go back up unless you turn the wheel over, (start sewing). It sounds simple but sometimes you never think of it.

I've been servicing sewing machines since 1989, I still service machines for Northwestern Ontario Canada. It is a large area with little or no service people and I can usually tell on the phone if it can be fixed by the owner.

I took a 2 year apprentice course with a dealer who was looking to teach and hire. I worked for him for 8 years before moving up to the Northwest, Red Lake area of Ontario.