Sewing/width and length

When you go to the store and have fabric cut, its unrolled from a bolt and cut. When its unrolled to be cut it that the width or length??
Q2: When the fabric is folded in half, fold is at the bottom, raw edges at the top. Which way is width?? and length?? thank you B.

1. Are you talking about quilting and fashion fabrics? or Home Dec Fabrics?  There is a difference.  

Selvage to Selvage is usually the width. The length is how many yards you are purchasing.  The fold is generally on the side of the fabric.

Claudia Buchanan

I can answer most all questions about sewing and fabricating home decor projects. I can not answer questions about clothing,kniting,crafts,etc.

Yes, I have owned a professional interior design workroom for 15 years. We specialize in window treatments, bedding, slipcovers, pillows,etc. I also teach hands-on sewing and business classes in my studio.

Window Coverings Association of America, American Sewing Guild, Workroom Association of America, Slipcover Network, Drapery Pro

Press Release in local news paper, Threads Magazine in fall 2012

Owner of Home Fashions U and we teach Home Decor sewing classes and I have owned a professional drapery workroom for over 15 years. We specialized in slipcovers, bedding, draperies and window coverings. I'm also a trainer for the Slipcover Summit which is held annually. Attended workshops and training class at trade events.

Slipcover Fabrication awards from the Custom Home Furnishing Conference in Greenville,SC

We have a online sewing supply store for home sewers and decorators. I sew retail and wholesale for the Interior Desing Trade.