Sewing/width and length

Question
Hello
When you go to the store and have fabric cut, its unrolled from a bolt and cut. When its unrolled to be cut it that the width or length??
Q2: When the fabric is folded in half, fold is at the bottom, raw edges at the top. Which way is width?? and length?? thank you B.

Answer
Bea
1. Are you talking about quilting and fashion fabrics? or Home Dec Fabrics?  There is a difference.  

Selvage to Selvage is usually the width. The length is how many yards you are purchasing.  The fold is generally on the side of the fabric.

Claudia  

Sewing

Claudia Buchanan